Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The attorney will provide advice and counsel on the following types of legal matters:
- Benefit claims and appeals;
- Filings under various governing laws;
- IRS and DOL plan audits;
- Internal and external audits and compliance reviews;
- ERISA fiduciary issues, such as prohibited transaction rules, reviewing and negotiating investment manager agreements, fiduciary governance and fee disclosures;
- Drafting and/or reviewing, with the Treasury Department, the Corporate Secretary's' office, and internal or external counsel, the Compensation Discussion and Analysis section of the Summary Compensation Tables for the annual proxy;
- Drafting and/or reviewing and advising on collective bargaining provisions relating to pension, health and welfare benefits;
- Provide general advice, counsel and education to internal clients to comply with, navigate and raise awareness of applicable legal issues, policies, regulations and laws, including the labor and tax provisions of ERISA and other retirement-related laws;
- Drafting and/or reviewing proposed amendments to the benefit plans, annual enrollment materials, Summary Plan Descriptions, Summaries of Material Modifications, 5500 filings, participant communications and other legal documents, as necessary;
- The selected attorney will also:
- Attend, draft minutes, prepare, analyze and present issues for consideration by the Named Fiduciaries of the various plans, and serve as the Law Department's representative at pension plan meetings, including meetings of the Audit Committee, the Management Development and Compensation Committee, and the Named Fiduciary Committee;
- Manage outside counsel relationships and related budget matters, including oversight of compliance training related to ERISA, the Affordable Care Act, HIPAA, fiduciary obligations and other regulatory matters;
- Assist in benefits/ERISA related litigation, as necessary;
- Taxation and disclosure requirements under applicable laws; and
- Perform other tasks related to ERISA and employee benefits as necessary.
- Juris Doctorate A Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school and member in good standing of the New York State Bar is required.
Required Work Experience
- 8-10 years Applicants must have at least 8 years of experience specializing in compensation and benefits matters. Applicants for the Associate Counsel position must have 15 years of the above related experience. Req And
- 8-10 years The attorney must be capable of prioritizing and managing multiple projects simultaneously and have substantive knowledge and experience in the legal issues pertaining to ERISA, employee benefits and executive compensation, including:
- Implementation and administration of employee benefit plans, including tax-qualified plans, defined benefit pension plans, health and welfare benefits, employment and separation agreements, non-qualified deferred compensation arrangements, stock options and other incentive compensation arrangements;
- ERISA fiduciary and prohibited transaction provisions;
- IRC 409A compliance;
- Compliance with HIPAA privacy and security regulations;
- Health care reform compliance; and
- Taxation and disclosure requirements under applicable securities law.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be willing to travel, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.