Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Will evaluate transmission project requirements, prepare scopes of work, design criteria, construction packages, economic analysis, authorization and appropriation requests and engineering specifications for the Company's high voltage electrical system including substations, underground and overhead transmission cables and auxiliary systems such as Pressurization and Cooling Plants.
- Will coordinate projects with users and construction and provide field support. Monitor and report on project status, schedules and costs.
- Interface with or direct project work teams of discipline engineers and designers. Address outage, safety and environmental constraints as required.
- Prepares or directs the preparation of equipment, cable and accessory purchase specifications including review and acceptance of manufacturer's proposals and drawings.
- Serves as Lead Discipline Engineer with decision-making capability and meets with other departments on installation of new equipment.
- Responds to emergency calls by operating departments and makes field decisions in the area of responsibility.
- Performs calculations as needed related to transmission electrical parameters such as impedances, cable ratings, hydraulic pressures, pulling tensions, and EMF.
- Partakes in the rotational emergency duty schedule to support operations as needed, during system emergency conditions.
- Assists in preparation of operating, maintenance, and test procedures.
- Participates in preparation of budgets, appropriations, scoping documents, concept reviews, design field walks, cost reviews.
- Provides technical assistance as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 2 years full time work experience to include one year of applicable engineering experience - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 3 years applicable engineering experience in power systems including overhead and/or underground transmission systems - ENGINEER (2L) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 8 yrs applicable engineering experience in the design, analysis or operation of power systems including overhead and/or underground transmission systems. Experience must include at least 1 year of Project Engineering or Project Management experience
- - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H) Or
- Master's Degree with a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 6 years of applicable engineering experience in the design, analysis or operation of power systems including overhead and/or underground transmission systems. Experience must include at least 1 year of Project Engineering or Project Management experience - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H)
Required Work Experience
- REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Electrical Engineering seeks dedicated, dynamic, and an innovative individual to join its management team to support the Transmission Engineering Section. Individuals must recognize the importance of Commitment to Excellence and personnel safety, be able to provide exemplary customer service, make sound business decisions, demonstrate a high energy level, work under pressure, and be able to handle multiple assignments with changing priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Strong organizational, teamwork, leadership, interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills are essential.
- To succeed in this position, the right candidates must be self-motivated, resourceful and articulate.
- These individuals will possess a ''can-do'' attitude, have a clear sense of accountability and understand what it takes to meet customers needs.
- Experience and expertise in application and development of technical principles and practices associated with engineering systems is required. Experience shall be specific to the engineering and application of Power Systems.
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required for managing projects, making presentations and project conflict resolution.
- Computer skills are essential including proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be knowledgeable in basic engineering design and principles. Required
- PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering
- Experience with conceptual design, system planning, and electrical analysis is highly desirable.
- Completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering exam is preferred.
- Familiarity with local, national, and industry codes and standards preferred.
- Ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects preferred (required for Engineer and Sr. Engineer titles).
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able to travel to company locations and wear the required PPE as needed.
- Must be able to travel within the Company's service territory and surrounding areas.
- This position requires walking, climbing ladders, performing inspections in manholes and trenches, and travelling or walking on uneven paths indoors, outdoors, and in any weather. It requires working in the vicinity of high voltage equipment and transmission lines, sometimes in tight spaces.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.