Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The primary responsibility of the Mechanic B in Steam Distribution is to assist in the maintenance and repair of the steam distribution system, perform mandated inspection programs, and respond to emergency calls. Selected candidates must possess technical and mechanical ability to learn to perform steam distribution maintenance in the field.
- The selected candidates will be required to work both indoor and outdoor environments in all weather conditions, to enter manholes, access/enter customer premises, and interact with customers on a regular basis, and will be expected to provide outstanding customer service and present a positive image of the company to our customers and the general public.
- Successful candidates must have the ability to follow safe work practices and procedures; comply with environmental policies and procedures;
- Perform standard maintenance functions; ability to pinpoint leaks in steam mains and services, and, the ability to use hand and power tools.
- Obtain certificates of fitness and/or licenses [including but not limited to a Commercial Driver's License ("CDL")]; safely operate company vehicles; become certified in First Aid and CPR;
- Candidates must also have the ability to advance through career path training.
- Successful candidates must have a valid driver's license and a demonstrated ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. They must also pass a written and practical road test to be administered by Con Edison.
- Selected candidates will be required to work overtime, various rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays, based upon operating needs.
- Candidate must be able to work in high temperature environments and in tight work areas like a manhole.
- The successful candidate must demonstrate experience in construction, maintenance and/or field operations and in the operation of construction vehicles and/or power-operated equipment.
- The candidate must possess the mechanical ability to operate and maintain steam service piping in customers' premises and to read steam meters and drawings.
- The candidate must also be capable of effectively communicating with our customers and writing clear/concise reports.
- Must present a positive image of the company to customers.
- The candidate will obtain burner/fire guard certification, emergency response/Hazwoper first responder certification and obtain NYC/NYS asbestos handler certification.
- Through Learning Center training classes as well as On the Job Training, the successful candidates must be able to advance to the Mechanic A title.
- Positions will be in any of the following section within the Steam Distribution department: Field Operations. No private parking is available.
- High School Diploma/GED And 3 years relevant field experience maintaining, repairing, installing piping and valves
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confimed spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be clean shaven and approved to wear a 1/2 face or full face respirator
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Selected candidates must pass a Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 375 llbs.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.