Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Con Edison is seeking a network analyst to join our Network Systems team. We're part of a centralized IT department that is collectively responsible for the evaluation, planning, design, and implementation for all of the corporation's infrastructure components and systems from the network perimeter to the corporate LANs, data centers, call centers, and control centers. The team performs system upgrades, changes, testing, and troubleshooting, plus produces detailed documentation and analyzes network issues.
- Our networks are built on top of one of New York's largest private fiber optic networks and use a full range of wired and wireless technologies. Whether it's at the top of New York City's tallest buildings, the deepest tunnels, or simply a pole outside, we get data where it needs to go, securely and quickly, and a 24/7/365 NOC supports us along the way.
- Must be able to participate in a wide variety of telecommunications application projects. These projects will utilize our Company's private fiber network called the Corporate Communication Transmission Network (CCTN) and support the deployment of DWDM, MPLS, SONET, and Wireless/RF Infrastructure. The responsibility of a Network/OSP Fiber Cable Engineer includes the planning, design, construction and maintenance of the optical DWDM/SONET network and OSP fiber cable infrastructure network. The engineer will develop the detailed engineering plans, bill of materials, costs and schedules related to the project. The Network/OSP Fiber Cable Engineer will perform fiber cable plant route analysis of the underground & aerial fiber optic infrastructure and should have an in-depth understanding of the outside plant fiber cable such as cable sizing, cable counts, and cable records. The engineer will have to record and process the database updates of fiber cable installation, splicing requirements, test results, and As Built. The engineer will supervise, manage the fiber splicing vendor and review the fiber splicing test results and characteristics. The Network/OSP Fiber Cable Engineer will support Communication Operations for the operation and maintenance of the fiber cable infrastructure. Candidate will also need experience with design and construction of Information Technology communication rooms and huts which includes ladder racks, relay racks, and DC power plant.
- Participate in the rollout and support of all facets of network technologies that we focus on. You'll work on Outside Plant Fiber MPLS, and Optical network gear, at our 100+ remote sites, and wireless.
- Integrate new technologies and protocols into existing networks.
- Develop visual diagrams and project work plans.
- Solve problems and remedy performance bottlenecks in the network using performance metrics, capacity management and performance tools.
- Apply your personal dedication to remediate any issues that could impact communication with our customers and internal users.
- Assist in developing and tracking project and program budgets.
- We're also looking for automation of daily activities through scripting. You will also assist other team members in our Cisco UCS-based datacenters when needed.
- Perform other related task & assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of three (3) years of related IT work experience Or
- Associate's Degree with a minimum of four (4) years of related IT work experience Or
- High School Diploma/GED with a minimum of five (5) years of related IT work experience
Required Work Experience
- Good judgment to render sound technical and business decisions Required
- Knowledge of DWDM, MPLS, SONET, and Wireless/RF Infrastructure Required
- Knowledge of planning, design, construction and maintenance of the optical DWDM/SONET network and OSP fiber cable infrastructure network Required
- Understanding of troubleshooting and analysis processes and performance management Preferred
- Technical certifications are preferred but not mandatory Preferred
- Understanding of Cyber Security and layers of protection Pref
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must unload materials from delivery vehicles and deliver equipment and materials to various operating facilities
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs at times.
- Must wear Personal Protective Equipment such as hard hat, safety shoes when required.
- Travel to other company locations in NYC, Westchester and occasionally Rockland County as necessary. We have company vehicles you can use.
- We strive to minimize unexpected after-hours work. However, Con Edison is always open, so we need you to be available for emergencies, particularly during weather events that impact our customers. There's also occasional planned work during evenings and weekends.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.