Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Control Systems Engineering department within the Central Engineering organization seeks to hire an Engineer to join the Relay Protection Analysis section. The department seeks a highly motivated candidate who demonstrates a strong commitment to excellence and understands the vital importance of personal accountability with an ability to render good business decisions. Requires strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact with internal support organization, contractors and various levels of management. Must possess strong technical competence, be well organized, and detail oriented. Must be flexible to handle multiple assignments with changing priorities and deadlines. Must have a high regard for personal accountability, and understand the critical importance of Commitment to Engineering Excellence. Must demonstrate a high energy level and promote a positive work ethic in support of our Corporate Values. Requires computer proficiency to include MS Office. Must demonstrate the ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects and assignments. Computer and mainframe experience required. Requires a Bachelor's degree, or higher, in Electrical Engineering.
- The Engineer will be assigned to provide protection related support to Operation, analyze relay protection systems, including teleprotection channels, and (if applicable) provide corrective action plans after system events.
- The duties also include performing short circuit calculations and relay coordination studies. The candidate will develop descriptive documents regarding relay protection systems, for use by operating personnel. He/she will keep his/her supervisor informed on a timely basis of actual and/or anticipated problems of the assignments that are his/her responsibility.
- Keep supervision informed on a timely basis of actual and/or anticipated problems of the assignments that are his/her responsibility.
- Periodically must be available 24 hours a day to consult with operating organizations on relay problems and resolve emergencies associated with relay protection systems.
- Perform other task and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 2 years full time work experience, which includes one year work experience in power systems engineering or operations - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 3 years work in any of the following areas: relay protection, power systems engineering or operations - ENGINEER (2L), Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 8 years experience in the application of relay protection systems at either the distribution or transmission level - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H) Or
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 6 years experience in the application of relay protection systems at either the distribution or transmission level- SENIOR ENGINEER (2H)
Required Work Experience
- Requires the ability to deliver exemplary customer service. Required
- Must possess strong technical competence, be well organized, and detail oriented. Required
- Must be flexible to handle multiple assignments with changing priorities, and deadlines. Required
- Must have demonstrated analytical abilities. Required
- Must have a high regard for personal accountability, and understand the critical importance of Commitment to Engineering Excellence. Required
- Must demonstrate a high energy level and promote a positive work ethic in support of our Corporate Values. Required
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills and have the ability to effectively interact with subordinates, colleagues and various levels of management. Required
- Requires computer proficiency to include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Required
- PREFERRED: protection experience, such as in setting relays, performing coordination, fault studies, developing logic, or using related software. Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be available for travel both regionally and continent-wide, to attend conferences, meetings, etc. as needed.
- Selected candidate must be capable of working in various indoor and outdoor conditions.
- Must be able to walk/climb/stand extensively.
- Must be able to work in power plants and high voltage substations and wear the required PPE as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.