Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- At O&R, we have and we all need to take special interest in our customers, both within the company and externally. As an employee, you need to commit to these ideals of developing a proactive, customer-centric culture to foster trust and confidence among customers and improve value for all our stakeholders.
- Leads the investigation and analysis of power quality problems and issues on the electric delivery system and determines / develops plans recommendations and solutions to correct or improve voltage issues. The PQ Engineer (1H) requires the use all available resources, both internal and external, to analyze power quality issues. The PQ Senior Engineer (2L) is experienced with troubleshooting many issues, and makes use all available resources, both internal and external, to analyze power quality issues. The PQ Principal Engineer (2H) is a technical expert in the area of Power Quality for the Company.
- The PQ Engineer (1H) is familiar with available power quality analysis technology and testing, and must consult with vendor equipment engineers regularly. The PQ Senior Engineer (2L) is experienced with available power quality analysis technology and testing, and occasionally consults with vendor equipment engineers. The Principal Engineer (2H) is the subject matter expert in power quality analysis technology and testing.
- Develops and administers a power quality program for investigating circuit area voltage problems/complaints. This program includes, but is not limited to the following departments: Distribution Engineering, Metering, Distribution Control Center, Electric Operations, Customer Service, and Performance Operational Engineering. Band Level will be commensurate with supervision required for this responsibility, as described in the Job Summary.
- Authors procedure guides, reports and presentations to summarize and document technical analysis. Band Level will be commensurate with supervision required for this responsibility, as described in the Job Summary.
- Attend meetings with other utilities and R&D seminars to review interconnection requirements, power quality initiatives, and system protection schemes related to Distributed Generation systems. Band Level will be commensurate with supervision required for this responsibility, as described in the Job Summary.
- Keeps informed of the industry and keeps up-to-date with the latest developments in the Distribution Engineering field through webinars, industry conferences, stakeholder meetings and technical committees as applicable. Band Level will be commensurate with supervision required for this responsibility, as described in the Job Summary.
- Participates in Operations support functions, including circuit fuse coordination studies, motor start calculations, capacitor and voltage regulator location and setting recommendations, substation transformer fixed tap and LTC settings.
- Performs Distributed Energy Resource Interconnection studies as required.
- Performs Distribution Protection coordination studies as required.
- Participates in the Company's emergency management processes and storm plans as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required And 2 or more years of total work experience to include one year of applicable engineering work (Engineer 1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) is required And 3-5 years of total work experience in distribution engineering work or related operations experience (Senior Engineer 2L) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 8 years of total engineering work experience, with at least 5 years in distribution engineering work or related electric operations experience (Principal Engineer 2H)
Required Work Experience
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments and deadlines. Required
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and have the ability to effectively interact with internal and external customers, support staff, and various levels of management. Required
- Must have strong analytical, technical and interpersonal skills. Required
- Computer literacy with proficiency with Windows environments - Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Project. Required
- Must show ability to apply good individual judgment, initiative, creativity and decision making in the handling of assignments. Required
- Must be innovative, creative and able to coordinate with other departments. Required
- The 2L must be proficient in promoting and utilizing teamwork when necessary to achieve goals. Required
- The 2L must possess the ability to effectively interact with customer, customer representatives, trade organizations and governmental agencies. Required
- The 2L/2H must be an experienced engineer capable of running projects and approving drawings and possess familiarity with electrical systems and electric distribution construction. Required
- The 2L/2H must show ability to apply good individual judgment, initiative, creativity and decision making in the handling of assignments. Required
- The 2H must be technically proficient in a broad range of engineering responsibilities and show a willingness to explore and implement new and creative solutions. Required
- Experience in distribution protection / power quality engineering or electric operations is preferred. Preferred
- The 2L/2H should possess demonstrated ability to train and to supervise other employees effectively. Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Preferrederable to have a NY, NJ & PA Professional Engineer's License or be in the process of qualifying for a license. Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.