Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Ensures conformity with Company policy, employee relation's practices, labor agreements, and legal requirements, etc., in such a manner that effectively ensures that cooperation, harmonious employee relations, and employee performance goals will be achieved.
- Assumes the functional role of Section Manager and supervises the environmental compliance staff in the absence of the Section Manager.
- Serves as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for researching and interpreting proposed and final federal, state and local environmental regulations and standards for company compliance. Provides continuing advice, counsel and technical support to all Company organizations on federal, state and local environmental regulations. Possesses strong SME level knowledge of regulatory, operational and company rules, procedures, and best practices in the area of environmental compliance.
- Reviews statistical and trend analysis of environmental compliance history. Develops and implements, as appropriate, mitigation plans/programs to improve performance.
- As directed, manages and oversees specific company compliance programs as assigned. The compliance programs managed by the organization, and of which MAY be assigned to this Sr. Specialist, include: Petroleum Bulk Storage compliance program, Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure compliance program, Spill Response and Cleanup program, EH&S Project Planning program, Polychlorinated Biphenyl program, Waste Management and Recycling compliance program, and similar
- Has in depth knowledge of relevant company and industry Environmental Compliance requirements. Keeps abreast of industry, NY/NJ, and global trends in the area of Environment Sustainability and Governance and other relevant emerging issues. Maintains a strong network of in-house and in-industry SME contacts and actively benchmarks to ensure consistency and best practices are well understood and incorporated in company practices and policies.
- Serves as liaison with and represents the Company during any inspections, visits or inquiries by representatives of EPA, NYDEC, NJDEP, and any other official agencies affecting environmental compliance
- As required, develops and implements action plans for compliance. Responsible for maintaining and revising the Company's environmental procedures and best management practices on a periodic basis within assigned program responsibility areas. Provides advice and counsel to those departments developing work procedures in compliance with these program procedures and best practices. Skilled at creating written communications on complex, technical information that is easily understood and relevant. Skilled at presenting complex, technical information to all levels so that it is easily understood and relevant. Skilled at creating new policies and procedures in the area of environmental compliance that are practical, and that can be implemented and monitored.
- Administers environmental contracts as assigned.
- Represents the Company on various industry related trade groups and committees which may include the NJUA, EEANY, USWAG, AGA, NGA, and similar.
- Supervises other employees from time to time who may be involved in environmental related projects. Oversees contractors similarly.
- Available to respond to emergencies as required.
- Participates in the Company's emergency management processes, storm plans, and mutual aid deployments, as required.
- Participates in On Call Spill Response as directed by the Environmental Section.
- Performs other related assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree And 3 years Practical Environmental Compliance required. Operational/Utility experience a plus.
Relevant Work Experience
- Work independently and with limited supervision. Required
- Experience in environmental regulatory compliance that pertains to the utility industry. Required
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, and has the ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff, and various levels of management and the union. Required
- Has strong analytical, technical, interpersonal and leadership skills. Required
- Computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft Office suite is required. Required
- Provides off-hour, on-call support EH&S incidents as required. Required
- Experience in environmental regulatory compliance requirements that pertain to the utility industry in New York State and New Jersey. Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: CAPM, PMP, NJ/NY PE, NREP REP/REM/CWMP or another similarly related environmental credential. Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.