Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Communicates, both verbally and in writing, in a clear logical manner that is easy to understand. Listens effectively and allows others to express their thoughts without prejudging.
- Utilizes appropriate computer applications. Maintains the integrity of the systems used through established security practices.
- Responsible for the preparation, integrity and maintenance of all records within the job scope. Ensures that all records, including appropriate reference materials, are kept current and are available.
- Ensures that good housekeeping practices are followed for all areas of responsibility.
- Develops personnel to achieve maximum efficiency and productivity by instructing, motivating, counselling and utilizing appropriate training.
- Strives to improve morale and productivity of subordinates. Adheres to Company rules and terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Determines appropriate disciplinary action, conducts interviews, participates in settlement of grievances, and evaluates subordinates' work performance in a timely manner.
- Supervises the startup and shutdown of equipment under normal and emergency conditions. Ensures that all equipment is operated in a safe, reliable, and efficient manner. Decides whether to remove or restrict the operation of units. Maintains liaison with System Operations and CIG. Prepares trouble reports and conducts investigations pertinent to same. Administers maintenance memorandum, work permit, and operating orders as required.
- Prioritizes new and pending work requests and coordinate work efforts with the planning group.
- Create/Encourages a culture that engrain Zero Accident, Operational Excellence, Effective Cost Management, Diversity and Inclusion, and Enhancing the Customer's Experience.
- Promotes a customer service focus among supervisors, mechanics and operators, while emphasizing professionalism, honesty, concern, courtesy, excellence and teamwork.
- Functions as a liaison with other departments during meetings such as planning meeting, project meeting, field walkthrough, etc.
- Provides coverage to shift supervisor on rotating shift as needed
- Establishes priorities and assign human resources to efficiently operate, maintain, and restore plant assets o steam system
- Plans, organizes, schedules and assigns supervisory personnel and their crews to optimize productivity and meet operating and system conditions
- Fosters a positive employee relation atmosphere through the proper and effective administration of the Company's personnel policies, procedures, and practices including, but not limited to training, motivation, counseling, performance appraisals, discipline, EEO and security
- Communicates, coordinates, and control standards, measurements and procedures for supervision to affect safe, environmentally sound and efficient work practice and ensure proper operation, repairs and restoration of the steam assets
- Operates within O&M and human resources budgets by controlling expenditures and managing workloads
- Recommends modifications to existing procedures and practices to improve the performance and restoration of the steam system
- Implements plans and programs to improve the performance and reliability of the steam assets
- Develops employee skills by identifying appropriate training and leadership courses in addition to providing opportunities for growth
- Performs other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree In Engineering or related technical field And 3 years' experience experience in a power plant, US Navy, or merchant shipping environment Or
- Associate's Degree In Engineering or related technical field And 5 years' experience experience in a power plant, US Navy, or merchant shipping environment Or
- High School Diploma/GED And 7 years' experience experience in a power plant, US Navy, or merchant shipping environment
- Bachelor's Degree In Engineering or related technical field
Relevant Work Experience
- working knowledge of a control room, boiler and high/low pressure auxiliary operations, plant trouble shooting, boiler mechanics, blueprint reading and pipe fitting. Required
- knowledge of safe work practices/procedures, operating orders, work permits and use of appropriate personal protective equipment Required
- proficient in the following computer programs/applications - Microsoft office, work management systems such as Maximo Required
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to effectively interact with both internal and external customers, support staff, and various levels of management and union Required
- Supervisory experience Req
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Boiler License NYC Stationary Engineer's License Upon Hire Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.