Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Senior Specialist is responsible for providing Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) support so that work activities, including construction, operation, maintenance and retirement of our energy systems, are conducted safely and in a manner that complies with all federal, state and local regulations in addition to Company procedures and protocols. Work closely with operations personnel to support the Company's commitment to Environmental, Health and Safety Excellence by achieving a zero harm and 100% compliance culture.
- Ensures implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for our employees.
- Adhere to the Company's EH&S programs and provides support so that safe practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Engage and support a culture of teamwork, honesty, integrity and openness regarding environmental, health and safety issues.
- Interaction with Operating Groups.
- Perform EH&S incident analysis; complete entries into the Safety and Health Information Management System (SHIMS) and fulfill reporting requirements (as required).
- Work collaboratively to continuously improve our safety culture and compliance with Environment and Health standards.
- Conduct and document onsite Job Site Safety Exchanges, inspections and assessments of company and contractor personnel regarding work practices.
- Work with operating areas to provide EH&S input in developing, critiquing, and revising operating area procedures and work practices.
- Provide EH&S assistance in investigations and Close Call and/or Time out resolution.
- Provide advice, counsel and information on EH&S matters to all levels.
- Assist in the development and coordination of EH&S-related programs.
- Assist with spill reporting and EH&S response, including emergency off-hour response and evaluation.
- Establish a Zero Harm Culture amongst the team that is focused on employee and public safety, including but not limited to: developing and implementation of safety programs.
- Communicate EH&S-related information at business and safety meetings, in the field and through safety talks and tailboard sessions.
- Conduct periodic self-assessments to predict and prevent noncompliance.
- Implement plans, programs and strategies that effectively protect our workers and the public from the potential hazards associated with our work activities and negative impact to the environment.
- Work to integrate and promote human performance initiatives into our work practices to achieve operating excellence and prevent incidents that may result in injury, environmental issues, vehicle collisions, and equipment damage or other impact.
- Coordinate the company's response to environmental incidents such as spills and releases so that reporting, cleanup, response operations and waste management are conducted safely and in compliance with all regulatory and company requirements.
- Monitor and track internal and external spill reporting and spill close-out requirements.
- Provide EH&S support as required for the maintenance, repair and improvement of our energy delivery systems and ensure implementation, update and modification to Hazard Assessments and Job Safety Analysis.
- Provide assistance as required in the management of environmental compliance programs and plans such as SARA and chemical reporting.
- Perform contractor oversight activities to measure compliance and EH&S performance in accordance with applicable procedures and the Contract Administration Manual. These oversight activities will also include pre-work review of environmental, health, and safety plans (eHASP) for acceptance.
- Perform FDNY site permit inspections as necessary.
- Perform other related assignments as required, including response to emergencies 24 hours/ 7 days a week.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Work with operations to review and enhance safe work practices.
- Bachelor's Degree And Three (3) years relevant work experience Or
- Associate's Degree And Four (4) years relevant work experience Or
- High School Diploma/GED And 5 years relevant work experience
Required Work Experience
- Candidates must be capable of demonstrating their EH&S experience, either as a EH&S professional or as a noted safety leader. Required
- Must be a highly motivated individual. Demonstrate a strong Commitment to Excellence, and understand the vital importance of personal accountability. Required
- Completion of Company CEHSP program as soon as possible. Successful completion of position-specific EH&S as applicable. Required
- Ability to effectively interact with various levels of personnel. Required
- Strong team player. Demonstrated ability to obtain results. Required
- Must have excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully complete multiple tasks without compromising quality or timeliness. Required
- Must possess strong leadership skills, initiate and champion change, and have the ability to influence and persuade others in order to improve work practices/processes. Required
- Must be able to deliver exemplary customer service and develop a team spirited work environment in support of Con Edison's Corporate Values. Required
- Must demonstrate proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets and/or an ability to quickly become proficient with database packages including Microsoft Office, EMIS, SHIMS, and Maximo. Required
- Must be flexible in handling multiple work assignments, changing priorities and various deadlines. Required
- Safety and environmental incident response. Required
- Must be able to develop concepts into successful safety and environmental programs. Preferred
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills and have the ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff, regulatory agencies, and various levels of management. Pref
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- Must be available to respond to emergencies on a 24-hour basis
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.