Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Construction Services is seeking a dedicated professional to join its Gas Operations & Special Projects team to share in our goal to deliver excellent customer service and who recognizes the importance of personal responsibility. The successful candidate must understand the vital importance of teamwork, communication and promote a positive work ethic in support of our corporate Values and Mission. Must be highly motivated, well organized, detail-oriented and flexible to handle multiple work assignments, changing priorities, and able to meet deadlines. Must have the ability to exercise independent judgment and render sound business decisions. Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to effectively interact with customers, union personnel, and various levels of management are required.
- Will also coordinate and ensure availability and timely delivery of materials, supplies and equipment.
- Ensure all records/paperwork are 100% accurate and completed in a timely manner since they affect the operation/cost effectiveness; and that accurate time reporting policies are followed
- Will emphasize professionalism, honesty, concern, courtesy, excellence and teamwork within the unit. Will perform any special projects or assignments as deemed necessary.
- Will direct and supervise field forces performing the physical installation, energizing, removal, repair and replacement of gas mains and services in compliance with operating procedures, environmental laws and PSC guidelines
- Ensure timely completion of system repairs to improve productivity and work practices/procedures
- Will supervise field personnel in work activities, coach, schedule, train, and have appropriate safety discussions
- Will ensure that all personnel, tools and material are safely and effectively utilized and the use of Human Performance Improvement (HPI) tools is incorporated into all daily activities.
- Ensure that all Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) work practices are followed and work is done in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Communicate and advise on work rule compliance, good housekeeping and work area protection practices for equipment and work areas
- The supervisor is also responsible for conducting On the Job training (OJT), effective job briefings and documented job site safety exchanges.
- Review field employees reports to ensure pertinent documentation is maintained.
- Complete all associated paperwork prior to the end of their shift.
- Certify, account for and approve expenditures for labor, material, supplies and equipment within prescribed limits.
- Monitor compliance with Company policies and procedures e.g., Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Substance Abuse, Discipline, Security, Productivity, Environmental Instructions and the Standards of Business Conduct.
- Must be committed to fostering a Zero Accident Culture, Diversity and Inclusion, Achieving Operational Excellence, Developing an Effective Cost Management Culture, and Enhancing the Customers Experience.
- Must be committed to the Way We Work Principles, adherence to the Company's Standards of Business Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S).
- Must be able to perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- High School Diploma/GED 5 years of relevant work experience Construction, Equipment, Troubleshooting and Repair Or
- Associate's Degree 4 years of relevant work experience Construction, Equipment, Troubleshooting and Repair Or
- Bachelor's Degree 2 years of relevant work experience Construction, Equipment, Troubleshooting and Repair
- Bachelor's Degree 2 years of relevant work experience Natural Gas or related field
Relevant Work Experience
- Excellent computer skills are required Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and work management systems is required. Required
- Experience and knowledge in gas construction, distribution or gas engineering is preferred. Preferred
- Valid Operator Qualification in NGA and CE covered tasks for Gas Construction is preferred Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated problem solving skills And
- Ability to interpret basic information on drawings. And
- Ability to build strong customer relationships And
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc. And
- Technical\Quickly troublseshoots and resolves problems And
- Possesses strong technical aptitude And
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must use their personal vehicles and transport, store, and secure company laptop computers and other job related equipment in the vehicle. Reimbursement for use of personal vehicle is available through the company mileage procedure.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.