Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Serve as key day-to-day relationship manager between the Company, the Office of the Mayor, City Council Central Staff and certain city agencies on city government and public policy related issues.
- Provide leadership among all internal groups interacting with the City, in order to ensure a coordinated City relationship and conversation.
- Communicate the company's positions effectively and persuasively on legislation and other policy matters to City Council members, council staff, the Office of the Mayor and City agencies.
- Cultivate relationships between the Company's operational experts and the Corporate Affairs team on city government related issues, in order to effectively respond to external inquiries.
- Leverage existing and develop new relationships with Council, Mayor's Office and agency staffs to advance the economic, operational and safety interests of Con Edison, its employees and customers.
- Be available for external relationship building and exposure events in order to maintain and develop new relationships with key stakeholders.
- Track relevant City Council legislation, reporting on those bills internally to subject matter experts, gathering comments, performing analysis and drafting changes/amendments if necessary.
- Drafting legislation that the Company may want introduced to the City Council, facilitating the enactment and passage of certain city legislation, and rule/regulations that advance the economic, competitive and safety interests of the Company, its customers and employees.
- Tracks, communicates internally, mitigates or defeats such legislation/rule/regulations that are unfavorable to the economic, competitive and safety interests of the Company, its customers and employees.
- Lead preparation of Company subject-matter experts for City Council hearings.
- Prepare briefing materials to the Chairman and executives of the Company regarding issues in New York City.
- Assist in the development, maintenance and growth of the Con Edison Inc. Employee Political Action Committee (CEIPAC), which includes, but is not limited to, managing the CEIPAC donor solicitation program, development of outreach materials, and ensuring compliance with all CEIPAC city, state and federal registrations and reports.
- Serve as an emergency responder and participate in all aspects of Corporate Affairs responsibilities during emergencies and assist in preparation of emergency preparedness information.
- Will perform such special assignments as directed by the Director of Government Relations, Vice President of Government Relations, and Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree Public Policy, Political Science, law or other relevant discipline (preferred) And 8 years Related work experience Or
- Master's Degree Public Policy, Political Science, law or other relevant discipline (preferred) And 6 years Related work experience
Relevant Work Experience
- Experience working on government relations, legislative or public policy issues (preferably in the City of New York) with fluency in energy policy and markets, although the latter is not required. Required
- An understanding of, experience with, and interest in New York City politics Required
- Excellent anticipatory, organizational, and customer-orientation skills, including the ability to keep several projects moving, while prioritizing demands, and maintaining a high level of responsiveness and emotional intelligence Required
- Experience with project management skills Required
- Strong written communication skills, including attention to detail and deadlines when composing reports and proofreading materials. Required
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork stills, including excellent oral communication and sound judgment demonstrated by a professional manner in dealing with stakeholders at all levels, both internally and externally. Required
- Legislative experience Preferred
- Exposure and fluency in energy policy and markets Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.