Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Scientist's primary responsibilities are to provide technical and regulatory oversight for concerns, issues, questions, and activities associated with Con Edison hazardous waste corporate procedures, general instructions and environmental specifications. The Scientist will communicate with regulators on the Company's behalf. The Scientist will provide guidance to EHS representatives and operations for compliance to all federal, state and local environmental regulations and laws.
- Ensure implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for employees and that safe work practices are followed, and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Evaluate proposed changes to regulations and laws governing waste and coordinate company involvement and advocacy strategies. Interpret and provide guidance on the applicability of any local ordinances pertaining to these subject matters.
- Correspond with regulatory agencies as required.
- Respond to agency inquiries and provide clarification or verification to data that has been submitted to the agencies.
- Participate in agency inspections.
- Manage the preparation of various reports for hazardous waste (e.g. Quarterly Superfund Tax Report; Annual Hazardous Waste Report).
- Assist operating departments in developing cost-effective and compliant strategies for managing waste practices.
- Assess company locations to confirm regulatory compliance.
- Participate in EH&S Emergency Resource Mobilization during emergencies. As necessary, be available to work overtime and shift work.
- Lead company initiatives to identify environmental risks, and work with operational organizations to develop and implement mitigation plans.
- Utilize Con Edison's internal environmental management applications including EMIS (Environmental Management Information System) which provides manifest information, Provisional EPA ID System that provides specific EPA ID request information, and single EPA ID reporting.
- Audit waste classes at the TLC.
- Coordinate Quarterly Waste meetings.
- Performs other related task and assignments as required.
- Master's Degree And 3 years' related work experience Or
- Bachelor's Degree And 5 years' related work experience
- Bachelor's Degree Environmental Science, Biology Environmental Management, Engineering or related fields And 5 years related work experience
- Master's Degree Environmental Science, Biology Environmental Management, Engineering or related fields
Relevant Work Experience
- Professional experience working on issues requiring oversight of federal and state waste programs. Required
- Professional experience in environmental science, chemistry, and/or waste management. Required
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in a regulated environment
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Ability to work within tight timeframes and meet strict deadlines
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must sit or stand to answer a phone for entire shift
- Must sit or stand to use a keyboard, mouse, and computer for entire shift
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.