Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Perform duties of operating mechanic for the installation, repair, and troubleshooting of various mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Troubleshoot electrical control systems.
- Perform basic maintenance of plant equipment such as painting, oil changes, re-build of sealing fittings.
- Follow EH&S requirements associated with the above activities.
- Perform safety tours and inspections.
- Obtain FDNY Certificate of Fitness requisite for operating the LNG plant and Hunts Point compressor station.
- Will advance to LNG Plant Operator and Sr LNG Plant Operator titles.
- Work includes outdoor activities and during all kinds of inclement weather including extreme cold whereas LNG plant serves as a source of natural gas on extremely cold days.
- Work requires working a 12 hour rotating shift.
- Remain clean-shaven, fit-tested and medically approved to wear a respirator, including SCBA (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus).
- Will be subject to initial psychological screening and annual physicals in accordance with Federal Code.
- Observe and record data from various instruments & computers and compare to expected norms as part of advancing to LNG Plant Operator.
- Travel to and attend hands on Fire School outside of NYC.
- Pass and maintain CFATS background checks.
- High School Diploma/GED And 1 - 3years of power plant or power systems related experience
Relevant Work Experience
- Must have at least 1 - 3 years of power plant or power systems related experience. Required
- Must be able to perform as a mechanic for the installation, repair and troubleshooting of various mechanical and electrical equipment. Required
- Possess troubleshooting knowledge of electrical control systems. Required
- Ability to perform basic maintenance of plant equipment such as painting, oil changes, re-build of sealing fittings. Required
- Must have working knowledge of the EH&S requirements associated with the above. Required
- Ability to earn FDNY Certificate of Fitness requiste for operating the LNG plant and Hunts Point compressor station. Required
- Commitment to advance to LNG Plant Operator and Sr. LNG Plant Operator titles. Required
- Pass and maintain CFATS background checks. Required
- Ability to observe & record data from various instruments & computers and compare to expected norms as part of advancing to LNG Plant Operator. Required
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills And
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment And
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.