Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Supervise and direct mechanics, engineering inspectors, operators, and subordinate titled personnel in the safe performance of maintenance, construction, repair, inspection, and operation activities on substation and associated equipment and structures.
- Plan, organize, schedule, and assign personnel to perform work based on project schedules and operational needs, while always striving to optimize productivity.
- Ensure work is performed in accordance with all operating procedures, OSHA laws, safety procedures, and environmental rules and regulations.
- Mentor and develop personnel while ensuring compliance with the Standards of Business Conduct, EH&S policies, Equal Employment Opportunity, substance abuse policies, security, and all other applicable company policies and procedures.
- Coach on performance, administer on-the-job training (OJT), provide effective job briefings, perform documented job site safety exchanges (JSSE), and enforce good housekeeping practices in work areas.
- Interface with various Con Edison departments and personnel who enter substations (i.e.-Electric Operations, Transmission Operations, Central Engineering, etc.).
- Attend daily management meetings to report job progress. Be fully knowledgeable of work scopes and submit Work Permit Requests in a clear and concise manner.
- Work with the Field Planners and Central Planning group to improve work plans and provide feedback to planners on work plans.
- Order, coordinate, account for, and ensure availability and timely delivery of materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Investigate substation abnormalities, equipment status, and job status within the substations. Conduct preliminary accident investigations and submits reports.
- Foster a Zero Accident Culture, embrace Diversity and Inclusion, strive for Operational Excellence, maintain an effective Cost Management Culture, and seek to Enhance the Customers Experience.
- Ensure all personnel, tools, and material are safely and effectively utilized and the use of Human Performance Improvement (HPI) tools is incorporated into daily activities.
- Enforce all contractual and local work rules and assign personnel to jobs in accordance with the Weekly Work Schedules and in adherence to the station schedules.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree and 2 years operations, maintenance, or construction of power generation, transmission, or distribution equipment or equivalent education/experience or
- Associate's Degree and 4 years operations, maintenance, or construction of power generation, transmission, or distribution equipment or equivalent education/experience or
- High School Diploma/GED
- and 5 years operations, maintenance, or construction of power generation, transmission, or distribution equipment or equivalent education/experience
Relevant Work Experience
- Work experience in the operation, maintenance, or construction of power generation, transmission, or distribution equipment. Required
- Exercise independent judgement and able to render sound business decisions. Required
- Be detailed oriented, able to work under pressure and handle multiple concurrent assignments. Required
- Strong oral and written communications skills, good presentation skills and ability to effectively interact with both internal and external customers, support staff, and various levels of management and union. Required
- Must be computer literate and be able to apply practical applications in Excel, Word, PowerPoint. Required
- Familiarity with scheduling and work management systems, such as Maximo, DataSplice, Engage, and Primavera P6. Preferred
- Supervisory experience is preferred. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: NYC S-95 certification 1 Year Required
- Other: NYC S-12 certification 1 Year Required
- Other: Respirator Fit Test 1 Year Required
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must use their personal vehicles and transport, store, and secure company laptop computers and other job related equipment in the vehicle. Reimbursement for use of personal vehicle is available through the company mileage procedure.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.