Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Ensures that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policies and regulatory regulations.
- Establish and implement a comprehensive field-training program for both new hires and senior title employees.
- Reinforces TLC skills training with hands on field application for new hires.
- Assesses and corrects any gaps between current career path curriculum and previous skills training for employees with senior titles.
- Coordinates and administers on the job training to field personnel to ensure overall training compliance and are knowledgeable to perform their functions.
- Recommends additional training as needed to increase proficiency and efficiency of the workforce.
- Develops and implements training for operators, mechanics, and supervisors.
- Develops, conducts, and monitors an Operator Excellence Program to ensure effective operations within corporate and departmental procedures.
- Effectively communicates appropriate procedural changes, lessons learned, and engineering plans and specifications to supervisors to ensure the proper operation, maintenance, repair, and restoration of substation equipment.
- Provides feedback from a field perspective to act as a liaison to TLC staff.
- Assists the Area Managers with coaching and mentoring of new and incumbent supervisors.
- Trains new supervisors on the core responsibilities as outlined in SSO maintenance and operation procedures.
- Coordinates supervisor training with The Learning Center and outside vendors and makes recommendations for modifying existing training.
- Promotes a customer service focus among supervisors, mechanics and operators, while emphasizing professionalism, honesty, concern, courtesy, excellence and teamwork.
- Monitors the performance of all field training related activities.
- Performs augment staffing duties during special contingencies, weather criteria, or resource shortages. This would include: Acting as a liaison between System Operations, SSO Engineering and Electric Operations.
- Ensures Human Performance Improvement (HPI) tools are incorporated into daily work activities.
- Ensures that all work is being performed in effective and efficient manner.
- Creates/Encourages a culture that ingrains Zero Accident, Operational Excellence, Effective Cost Management, Diversity and Inclusion, and Enhancing the Customer's Experience.
- Actively participates in various training related committees (TEC, Operating Error Committee, HPI Committee, Incidents Review Committee, etc.).
- Performs quality control reviews.
- Performs other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Master's Degree and 4 years of Operations or Maintenance experience or
- Bachelor's Degree and 6 years of Operations or Maintenance experience or
- High School Diploma/GED and 10 years of Operation or Maintenance experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
Relevant Work Experience
- Must have extensive operational and maintenance experience (Gas, Electric, Steam, etc.) and working knowledge of the installation, maintenance, repair and operation of the transmission, distribution, and auxiliary equipment located within a substation. Required and
- Must also be experienced with the Dielectric Fluid System and its substation components. Required and
- Thorough working knowledge of the General Instructions Governing Work on System Electrical Equipment (Rule Book), Substation Operations Procedures, and the Work Management Systems (e.g. Maximo, DataSplice, ENGAGE). Required and
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Applications. Required and
- Strong oral, written, presentation, and communication skills. Required and
- Must have a proven record of fostering the principles of the teamwork with other SSO groups and Company departments to achieve results. Required
- Supervisory experience Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Ability to interpret basic information on drawings.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Effectively coaches and delivers constructive feedback
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
- Ability to drive multiple projects to successful completion
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Experience in a regulated environment
- Possesses strong technical aptitude
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
- Possesses strong product knowledge
- Technical\Quickly troublseshoots and resolves problems
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.