Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Identifies necessary projects and prepares cost justification studies and cost benefit analyses. Prepares and submits projects for the capital budget.
- Prepares designs, drawings, estimates, specifications, and reports associated with Gas Engineering projects. Ensures that such designs are in conformance with codes, regulations, and Department design standards.
- Performs and coordinates gas distribution and transmission planning by utilizing pressure/flow system modeling studies.
- Participates in the planning phases of municipal projects to effectively negotiate favorable project modifications, where possible, to minimize impact to existing gas facilities.
- Is proficient in directing major projects (e.g. capital, maintenance, RD&D) and managing others who may be assigned to support the project.
- Performs a project management function including scheduling, inspection, and approval of field changes, cost control, prioritization and coordination of assigned projects.
- Performs vendor and contractor qualification comparisons. Analyzes contractors, manufacturers and suppliers bids to determine compliance with specifications.
- Investigates gas incidents, performs root cause analysis, and prepares reports in an effort to prevent similar occurrences in the future.
- Prepares standards and work procedures associated with all phases of gas transmission and distribution work.
- Collaborates, coordinates and consults with other departments as necessary to help achieve Department and Company goals.
- Directs and trains assigned employees.
- Keeps informed and up-to-date with respect to new technology and developments in the industry. Evaluates and makes recommendations for use of new materials and equipment.
- Performs other related assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering and 3 years of engineering work experience
- Advanced degree (s) or advanced technical status is preferred.
Relevant Work Experience
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of relevant engineering work experience. Required
- Must have demonstrated ability to train and to supervise other employees effectively. Must be proficient in promoting and utilizing teamwork when necessary to achieve goals. Required
- Must demonstrate the ability to apply individual judgment, initiative and decision in a broad range of assignments. Required
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills, and be able to work effectively with both internal and external customers, support staff and various levels of management. Required
- Must have a working knowledge of applicable codes and regulations. Required
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Windows environments - Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Required
- Experience in gas network analysis and gas engineering design preferred.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.