Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Provides consultation and is regarded as a technical expert in the field of gas engineering.
- When requested, assumes responsibility as a section or group supervisor and assists the Gas Engineering Projects Supervisor/Manager as necessary.
- Identifies necessary projects and prepares cost justification studies and cost benefit analyses. Prepares and submits projects for the capital budget.
- Prepares designs, drawings, estimates, specifications, reports, etc, associated with Gas Engineering projects. Ensures that such designs are in conformance with codes, regulations, and Department design standards.
- Is proficient in directing major projects (e.g. capital, maintenance, RD&D) and managing others who may be assigned to support the project.
- Participates in the planning phases of municipal projects to effectively negotiate favorable project modifications, where possible, to minimize impact to existing gas facilities.
- Performs a project management function on projects of major complexity including scheduling, inspection, and approval of field changes, cost control, prioritization and coordination of assigned projects.
- Performs vendor and contractor qualification comparisons. Analyzes contractors, manufacturers and suppliers bids to determine compliance with specifications.
- Performs and coordinates gas distribution and transmission planning by utilizing pressure/flow system modeling studies.
- Designs gas main and service installations for new customers.
- Investigates gas incidents, performs root cause analysis, and prepares reports in an effort to prevent similar occurrences in the future.
- Collaborates, coordinates and consults with other departments as necessary to help achieve Department and Company goals.
- Directs and trains assigned employees.
- Keeps informed and up-to-date with respect to new technology and developments in the industry. Evaluates and makes recommendations for use of new materials and equipment.
- Prepares gas standards and work procedures associated with all phases of gas transmission and distribution work.
- Represents the Company at trade organization meetings and other industry work and policy making groups.
- Represents the Company as a technical expert when necessary.
- Supervises junior engineers in Gas Engineering including assigning and reviewing work and conducting performance appraisals.
- Performs other related assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering. Must have a minimum of 8-12 years of practical, applicable engineering experience.
Relevant Work Experience
- PE certification, advanced degree (s) or advanced technical status is required. Note - Technical Status refers to expertise in a given area of gas engineering, e.g., pressure regulation, main replacement, standards, etc. Required
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills, and be able to work effectively with both internal and external customers, support staff and various levels of management. Required
- Must have demonstrated willingness and ability to work effectively with people, both inside and outside the Company. Required
- Must be proficient in promoting and utilizing teamwork when necessary to achieve goals. Required
- Must be technically proficient in a broad range of Gas Engineering responsibilities, and show a willingness to explore and implement new and creative solutions. Required
- Must have knowledge of Company procedures and policies, and well as State and Federal regulations pertaining to natural gas distribution and transmission. Required
- Must have demonstrated leadership skills and ability to train and to supervise other employees effectively Required
- Must show ability to apply good individual judgment, initiative, creativity and decision making in the handling of assignments. Required
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Windows environments - Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Required
- Experience in gas network analysis and gas engineering design preferred.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: P.E. License Preferrederred Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.