Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Plans, schedules, coordinates and analyzes required compliance testing including relay calibrations, trip tests, etc.
- Performs technical and feasibility design reviews and re engineering construction packages prior to and during implementation to satisfy field conditions.
- Reviews, analyzes and provides conclusion and comments for engineering to approve test results in order to commission new or repaired equipment or systems.
- Provides technical consultation to Engineering, operations and maintenance and other field groups with a high degree of reliance placed on the incumbent's knowledge and experience.
- Recommends, develops and implements new designs and techniques to enhance reliability, productivity and reduce costs.
- Appraises technological developments and investigates the feasibility of employing new equipment and techniques.
- Leads troubleshooting efforts and coordinates repair and restoration of equipment and other unfamiliar complex circuits so as to minimize outages and control costs.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Performs all administrative functions necessary to ensure proper operation of the local workout and office facilities including time cards, material ordering, payroll, office operation, etc.
- Supervises and directs the work force, prioritizes the daily work assignments and follows up to ensure work is completed safely, economically and in compliance with specifications and procedures.
- Responds to calls 24 hours/7 days for scheduled emergency work as required.
- Plans and coordinates the efficient and timely implementation of new construction projects.
- Submits outage requests and coordinates and negotiates approvals with System Operations, Substation Operations and Electric Operations.
- Coordinates all required training to ensure compliance to safety, environmental and operating procedural requirements.
- Associate's Degree in Electrical Technology, Electrical Engineering Technology, Electromechanical Engineering Technology, Electronics Technology or Telecommunications Technology and a minimum of five years of experience working with protective relays and systems or related experience or three years of related experience to include two years working exclusively with substation operations protective systems and testing is required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Telecommunications Engineering is preferred. and a minimum of three years of experience
Relevant Work Experience
- A minimum of five years of experience working with protective relays and systems or related experience or three years of related experience to include two years working exclusively with substation operations protective systems and testing is required. Required
- A minimum of three years of supervisory experience or related experience is required. Required
- Must have a clear sense of accountability and be able to handle multiple tasks with changing priorities. Required
- Must possess excellent computer skills to include working with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Protest, Metaphase, AutoCAD and OSS. Required
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Required
- Ability to become a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for protective relay systems, operation and maintenance of protective relay systems, operation of transmission and distribution equipment, electrical testing of protective relays and supervisory and control systems and communication lines and systems. Required
- Must work as a team player to ensure the success of collective goals. Required
- Knowledge of substation equipment and relay protection systems is strongly desired. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must use their personal vehicles and transport, store, and secure company laptop computers and other job related equipment in the vehicle. Reimbursement for use of personal vehicle is available through the company mileage procedure.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.