Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The incumbent will direct Senior Design Technicians and subordinate titled personnel in the design, reinforcement and expansion.
- Candidate must be able to render sound business decisions, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines.
- Direct Senior Design Technicians and subordinate titled personnel in the design, reinforcement and expansion of the electric distribution system, as required by system conditions.
- Provide instruction and guidance in preparing engineering plans, drawings and special studies.
- Ensure that the plans and drawings for the design, reinforcement, expansion and maintenance of the electric distribution systems are prepared in compliance with operating procedures and engineering plans and specifications.
- Evaluate and supervise the use of computer programs to perform engineering calculations and layouts.
- Approve engineering plans and layouts and directs preparation of appropriation.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, scheduling and assigning personnel to meet operating requirements.
- Represent the company at meetings with customers, contractors, governmental officials, consulting engineers and other company representatives regarding service.
- Method of supply and feasibility to ensure adherence to company plans and specifications.
- Respond to emergency events including Storm, Heat or other system emergencies when Incident Command Structure is mobilized.
- Will be required to lead analysis for overhead and underground events and feeder packages, when required, to support restoration
- Manage system design projects in Replacement, System Expansion and Risk Reduction and monitor project expenditures.
- May perform other related assignments as required.
- Responsible for the complete management of selected projects in engineering and design of structures, systems and components (SSCs) of steam and electric generating stations, construction specifications, bid preparation and evaluation, appropriations, scheduling, and construction field supports.
- Prepare and/or direct the preparation of design packages (specifications/drawings) and the review of construction administration documents.
- Perform cost benefit analysis and conduct conceptual studies to determine best designs.
- Prepare or direct the preparation of budgets and appropriation requests for specific projects.
- Perform calculations for specific projects and be required to direct, coordinate and review work of outside consultant, technicians and designers.
- Investigate, evaluate, and develop engineering responses to requests and concerns on generating stations SSCs.
- Supervise both in-house and external design efforts.
- Provide direct field support in response to failures and respond to emergencies on a 24/7 basis, when necessary.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering And 4 years of applicable civil engineering work experience Or
- Master's Degree in Civil Engineering And 3 years of applicable civil engineering work experience
- Bachelor's Degree Electrical Engineering
Relevant Work Experience
- Mimimum of four years experience in distribution system design and calculations, and in the distribution systems Operations Required
- Must be able to render sound business decisions, handle multiple assignments , and meet deadlines Required
- Must have the ability to supervise technically oriented employees Required
- Knowledge of STAR and WMS Preferred
- Structural engineering experience in analyzing and designing various new SSCs and modifications to existing SSCs. Required
- Strong technical knowledge in the design of all steel, concrete and masonry structures, and familiar with all applicable codes such as AISC, ACI, ASCE, NYC Building Code. Required
- General engineering experience in building envelope restoration for various facade and roof systems, and general facility inspections. Required
- Computer proficiency to include Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Required
- Project management experience that consists of field inspection, cost estimate, technical document development, review construction documents which include plans, specifications and bid packages. Preferred
- Working knowledge of any engineering design analysis programs such as STAAD or SAP 2000 or equal, AutoCad, MathCad. Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Develops and delivers effective presentations
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: Engineer-In-Training Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be willing and able to wear respirator, full body fall protection and associated required PPE.
- Must be willing and able to make the required visits to generating stations and within the company's service territory as required.
- Must be willing and able to work in all weather conditions, and/or confined spaces.
- Must be able and willing to work in environments consisting of both office and field settings.
- Must be willing and able to walk extensively indoors and outdoors environments with exposure to noise, heat, confined spaces, heights, etc.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.