Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Interface with several departments in Central Engineering; Design Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Field and Equipment Engineering, Environmental Engineering, as well as the operating departments and service groups for the various Steam Operations power plants.
- Provide engineering support, modeling, studies, and project development for the stations by responding to Engineering Service Requests (ESRs), developing Project Scoping Documents, appropriation of capital projects, engineering and design of capital projects, construction specification preparation, providing construction support, developing functional test procedures and system descriptions, start-up and commissioning of projects, and performing project close-out responsibilities.
- Provide routine support to Steam Operations in responding to Station events in troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and development of corrective actions.
- Address the controls for the water treatment systems, feed water systems, combustion controls, emissions controls, turbine and generator controls, and steam send out system controls for Steam Operations Power Plants. These controls consist of pneumatic, hydraulic, and electric actuators, microprocessor based control systems; PLCs, Distributed Control Systems, and relay based controls, motor controls, and the instrumentation associated with these control systems.
- Prepare, review and approve physical arrangements, engineering cost estimates, schematics, P&IDs, physical construction drawings, wiring diagrams and block diagrams.
- Prepare construction specifications, assists during construction.
- Prepare equipment and accessory purchase specifications; review and evaluates manufactures' proposals and drawings.
- Design control and instrument systems, process systems and equipment installations.
- Assist in preparation of operating, maintenance, and test procedures.
- Participate in preparation of budgets, appropriations, scoping documents, concept reviews, design field walks, cost reviews.
- Conduct and participates in field evaluation/analysis of field equipment or system misoperations, prepares failure analysis reports and other analyses as may be required.
- Assist user with Engineering Service Requests (ESRs) initiation, review and follow-up.
- Bachelor's Degree in either Mechanical, Maritime, Electrical or Chemical Engineering or
- Master's Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical engineering (with a Bachelor's degree in applied science (Physics, Chemistry))
- Bachelor's Degree Electrical Engineering
Relevant Work Experience
- 3 years of full-time engineering work experience, to include one year of Power Generation Engineering, Control Systems Engineering, Process Engineering or Operations. Required
- Computer proficiency. Required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Required
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel on all levels. Required
- Knowledgeable in basic engineering design and principles. Required
- Be able to exercise independent judgment and possess the ability to render sound business decisions. Required
- Be well organized, detail oriented, flexible to handle multiple assignments, meet deadlines, set and achieve business goals. Required
- Ability to work independently, providing oversight, direction and in a developmental role for the department. Required
- Ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects and assignments. Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Develops and delivers effective presentations
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be available for travel both regionally and continent-wide, to attend conferences, meetings, etc. as needed.
- Must be able to make field visits and wear the required PPE.
- Must be able and willing to work in various indoor and outdoor conditions.
- Must be able to walk/climb/stand extensively.
- Must be able to work in power plants and high voltage substations.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.