Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Mechanic B will pursue a career path to qualify as a Mechanic A.
- The Mechanic B (Mechanical) maintains, repairs and installs power piping systems, associated valves, tanks and vessels and various types of rotating mechanical equipment such as fans, blowers, pumps, motors, etc. using field power tools and precision measuring equipment.
- The Mechanic B (Mechanical) must have a working knowledge in the following areas: confined space entry, basic pumps, coupling alignment, bearing maintenance, pipe fitting, oxy-acetylene torch cutting, rigging, scaffolding, mechanical drawing, boiler tube repair, math and industrial safety, machine shop, conduit bending, basic electricity, scaffolding, sky climber/hanging platforms, crane operation and welding (GTAW, SMAW).
- Mechanic B (Electrical) installs, repairs and maintains utility electrical equipment. The Mechanic B (Electrical) reads schematic drawings and engineering prints uses test equipment to troubleshoot problems within electrical components, circuits or equipment.
- Must obtain both the New York State and New York City Asbestos Handler's License.
- Must drive a company vehicle to work locations, when required.
- Will Gain knowledge of the National Electric Code (NEC).
- Will Gain welding experience and obtain license, as required.
- Must be able to work weekends, midnight shifts and overtime, when necessary
- High School Diploma/GED and 3 years relevant work experience with power plant or equivalent components (boilers, turbines, pumps, motors, piping systems, etc.)
Relevant Work Experience
- 3-5 years years relevant work experience with power plant or equivalent components (boilers, turbines, pumps, motors, piping systems, etc.) Required and
- NYS Asbestos Handler's License Preferred or
- National Electric Code (NEC) knowledge Preferred or
- Welding Certification/License and experience Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must unload materials from delivery vehicles and deliver equipment and materials to various operating facilities
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.