Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Work on various types of electrical equipment.
- Installing, troubleshooting, maintaining, and / or operating mechanical and/or electrical system equipment and/or plant control systems such as pumps and motors. motor control circuits, high and low voltage circuit breakers, conduit, batteries, cable, limit switches, motor and pneumatic valve actuators, solenoid valve actuators, etc.
- Calibrating plant equipment (i.e. level and pressure transmitters, transducers, etc.), if required
- May perform special job related assignments and studies as required.
- Have good oral and written communication skills.
- May require working with basic electricity (know electrical theory and math), Programmable Logic Cards, Digital Control Systems, measuring and test equipment, print/schematic reading (electrical/mechanical) and troubleshooting (Hi Pot test, Di electric test, Etc.), control circuits.
- Installation experience in rigid tubing for pneumatic and hydraulic applications.
- Understanding of industrial safety, including the use of PPE and the use of human performance / error avoidance tools.
- Work with Maximo work management system and the company's Operating Orders and Work Permit process
- Estimate manpower resources, materials, special tools and equipment required to perform corrective and preventative maintenance of power plant equipment and piping systems.
- Develop job plans as required to complete each job in an effective and timely manner.
- Originate purchase and class/stock orders and will follow up on the status of those orders. Assure that all work orders and equipment history are entered in the required computer systems.
- Consult and review technical manuals, instruction books, prints, sketches, manufacturer's catalogs, equipment history records and other references for specifications and performance information to assist in planning process.
- Identify spare parts and equipment located in various storerooms for use in field repairs.
- Work with EH&S, Engineering and other Departments, as necessary, to gather information to be used in Job Plans.
- High School Diploma/GED and 5 years' In-depth work experience in the field of a Power Generation or related industries or
- Associate's Degree related field and 3 years' In-depth work experience in the field of a Power Generation or related industries or
- Bachelor's Degree In Engineering or related field
- Associate's Degree Technical degree or equivalent and 3 years' In-depth work experience in the field of a Power Generation or related industries
- High School Diploma/GED and 5 years' In-depth work experience in the field of a Power Generation or related industries
- Bachelor's Degree Technical degree or equivalent and 2 years' In-depth work experience in the field of a Power Generation or related industries
Relevant Work Experience
- 2 years include, but not limited to work experience in facilities such as fossil/nuclear power plants, industrial plants, steam boiler/engine rooms, oil refineries, combustion turbine facilities, ship yards, airline maintenance facilities, etc. Required
- Less than 2 years Knowledge of computer systems (PC) Required
- Less than 2 years experience with various types of electrical equipment Required
- Less than 2 years machine shop, confined spaces, precision instruments, pumps, coupling alignment, bearing maintenance, pipe fitting, rigging, scaffolding, crane operation, mechanical drawing, sky climber/hanging platform and oxy-acetylene torch cutting. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must unload materials from delivery vehicles and deliver equipment and materials to various operating facilities
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.