Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Ensure that Human Performance Improvement (HPI) tools are incorporated into daily work activities.
- Committed to fostering a Zero Accident Culture, Diversity and Inclusion, Achieving Operational Excellence, Developing an effective Cost Management Culture and Enhancing the Customers Experience.
- Oversees the six "on-watch' District Operators providing operational guidance and switching orders and priorities.
- Ensures the implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for employees whose work is -directed. Ensures that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations.
- Participate in the operation of the Con Edison electric system in a reliable and safe manner in coordination with the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO). Will perform voltage control adjustments in conjunction with NYISO.ln times of emergency, under orders from NYISO, Senior System Operator or System Operator will implement appropriate actions up to and including voltage reduction and load shedding to maintain the reliability of the electric system.
- Functions as the liaison between the bulk power operating team, District Operators and Substation Operation Shift Managers for daily operating requirements and the tracking of outaged facilities.
- Act in a coordinating capacity, compiling data associated with, scheduled facility outages, automatic operations, system trouble and scheduled work and notifying the appropriate engineering, operating, maintenance and construction organizations within the company.
- Coordinate and direct scheduled and emergency switching of transmission system facilities. Will provide direction of switching requirements and priorities to the District Operators on a daily basis. Will perform actual transmission system switching when needed at all voltage classifications from 500KV transmission stations to 13KV area station facilities. Will perform switching of capacitor banks and shunt reactors on a daily basis and will perform emergency switching of transmission facilities during implementation of rapid restoration procedures.
- Monitor, control and maintain proper transmission and sub-transmission voltage levels in conjunction with NYISO. Will dispatch MVAR output of all generating resources in the pursuit of voltage control and ensure compliance with established operating criteria.
- Act in a consultant capacity to the System Operator, monitoring the status of the transmission system, analyzing the effects of contingencies and scheduled outages, recommending steps to minimize their effects and assuring that proper attention is given to the coordination of restoration efforts for equipment out of service.
- Coordinate the operation and maintenance of the cable support systems. Monitor and coordinate the operation of the PURS system.
- Will perform adequacy testing of specific transmission feeder protective relaying systems, evaluate deficiencies and take corrective action. Will ensure that safe work practices are followed in accordance with Company policies and governmental regulations.
- Will act as Distribution System communicator during times of distribution system emergencies.
- Monitor the status of bulk power protective relaying systems, evaluate deficiencies and take corrective action.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering and 3 years of relevant experience or
- Associate's Degree in Engineering and 5 years of relevant experience or
- High School Diploma/GED and 7 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
Relevant Work Experience
- Must have 5 years experience in Electric Operations, Electric Power Systems, Gen., Electric Transmission Practices, Elect. Engr. General, or Elect. Power Sys. General. Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to interact with personnel on all levels. Working knowledge of personal computers and/or Emergency Management Systems. Required
- Must acquire NERC certification within 3 months of position acceptance. Required
- Previous District Operator or Energy Dispatcher experience and prior supervisory experience Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.