Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Protection and Controls Engineering department within the Central Engineering organization seeks to hire an Engineer to join the Relay Protection, Metering, and Security Engineering section. The department seeks a highly motivated candidate who demonstrates a strong commitment to excellence and understands the vital importance of personal accountability with an ability to render good business decisions. The candidate must demonstrate a high energy level, promote a positive work ethic in support of our Corporate Values, and understand the critical importance of a Commitment to Engineering Excellence. The individual must demonstrate analytical ability and the capability to resolve emergencies associated with relay protection systems.
- The Engineer will be assigned to design and apply relay protection systems, including teleprotection channels and metering, for the ConEdison transmission and distribution system. This includes the design of relay systems for new equipment and substations, the design of modifications to existing relay systems, the review of schematic and wiring diagrams, the creation and review of procurement specifications, and etc.
- The Engineer will, under guidance, perform short circuit studies, relay coordination studies, and relay setting calculations and will be responsible to develop relay settings files and records. They will also perform peer reviews as required and review and provide guidance on test results.
- The Engineer will coordinate their activities with other engineering and design disciplines within Central Engineering and with field operation, construction, and testing departments to ensure that their assignments are completed successfully. They will keep their supervisor informed, in a timely manner, of actual and/or anticipated problems regarding their assignments and must be able to work as part of a team.
- The Engineer will act as the lead on some projects and will be responsible for creating scoping documents, estimate requests, appropriation requests, requests for proposals, and etc. in accordance with Central Engineering processes and procedures. When not the lead, the Engineer will support the lead in creation of the same.
- The Engineer will participate in engineering design review meetings and manage outside vendor design efforts. This includes acting as a technical liaison between the company and the vendor in support of the creation of deliverables such as relay setting files and support documentation.
- The Engineer will be required to provide real time support during the commissioning of relay systems, including during nights and weekends.
- The Engineer will develop documentation regarding relay protection systems for use by operating personnel during day-to-day operations, for compliance purposes, and for general recordkeeping.
- The Engineer will be required to follow all compliance requirements including creating and maintaining proper compliance documentation. They will also participate in compliance audits and the preparation of responses to interrogatories as needed.
- The Engineer may be required to represent Con Edison on regional relay protection committees. The Engineer may also be required to mentor and train less experienced engineers.
- The Engineer will periodically be available 24 hours a day to consult with operating organizations on relay problems and resolve emergencies associated with relay protection systems.
- The Engineer will perform other task and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering and minimum 3 years of engineering work experience
Relevant Work Experience
- Requires the ability to deliver exemplary customer service. Required
- Must possess strong technical competence, be well organized, and detail oriented. Required
- Must be flexible to handle multiple assignments with changing priorities and deadlines. Required
- Must have demonstrated analytical abilities. Required
- Must have a high regard for personal accountability and understand the critical importance of Commitment to Engineering Excellence. Required
- Requires a Bachelor's degree, or higher, in Electrical Engineering. Required
- Must be able to work on a team. Required
- Must demonstrate a high energy level and promote a positive work ethic in support of our Corporate Values. Required
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills and have the ability to effectively interact with subordinates, colleagues, and various levels of management. Required
- Requires computer proficiency to include MS Office. Required
- Must have experience in setting relays, performing coordination and fault studies, developing logic, and using related software. Preferred
- Must demonstrate the ability to write specifications and standards. Must demonstrate knowledge of industry standards and regulations (IEEE, IEC, PRC, etc). Preferred
- Must have good project management skills with a demonstrated record in implementing multi-discipline projects. Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
- Possesses strong technical aptitude
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.