Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Ensures conformity with Company policy, employee relation's practices, labor agreements, and legal requirements, etc., in such a manner that effectively ensures that cooperation, harmonious employee relations, and employee performance goals will be achieved.
- Assumes the functional role of Section Manager-Safety and supervises the Safety Department staff in the absence of the Section Manager-Safety.
- Serves as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for researching and interpreting proposed and final federal, state and local safety and health regulations and standards for company compliance. Provides continuing advice, counsel and technical support to all Company organizations on federal, state and local safety and health regulations. Possesses strong SME level knowledge of regulatory, operational and company safety rules and procedures.
- Reviews statistical and trend analysis of accident history. Develops and implements, as appropriate, safety mitigation plans/programs to improve performance.
- As directed, manages various company programs, such as, Asbestos program requirements, including coordination of Asbestos projects, close call
- program, clear access program, etc.
- Provides advice and counsel to management regarding the development of safety conscious behavior through the development and implementation of occupational safety and health education programs.
- Has in depth knowledge of all company and Industry Occupational Safety and Health requirements. Keeps abreast of industry trends and innovations in Occupational Safety and Health.
- Serves as liaison with and represents the Company during any inspections, visits or inquiries by representatives of OSHA and any other official agencies affecting workplace safety and health.
- As required, develops and implements action plans for compliance. responsible for maintaining and revising the Company's safety rules and regulations on a periodic basis. Provides advice and counsel to those departments developing work procedures in compliance with these safety rule and regulations.
- Available to respond to emergencies as required.
- Provides training and guidance to Safety Specialists.
- Provides other specialized safety education and training when required.
- Represents the Company on various industry related committees as requested by Section Manager- Safety.
- Serves as Facilitator on Company Safety Team as directed by Section Manager-Safety.
- Supervises other employees from time to time who may be involved in safety related studies or projects.
- Participates in the Company's emergency management processes, storm plans, and mutual aid deployments, as required.
- Coordinates Mutual Aid Safety Orientations for Mutual Aid Crews during storm and other emergency response events.
- Participates in On Call Spill Response as directed by the Environmental Section.
- Performs other related assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree and 3 years Practical Safety and/or Operational/Utility experience or
- High School Diploma/GED and 5-7 years Practical Safety and/or Operational/Utility experience
Relevant Work Experience
- Work independently and with limited supervision. Required
- Knowledgeable in safety concepts and practices and ability to integrate within the line organizations. Required
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, and has the ability to effectively interact with customers, support staff, and various levels of management and the union. Required
- Has strong analytical, technical, interpersonal and leadership skills. Required
- Computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft Office suite is required. Required
- Provides off-hour, on-call support for Safety-related issues as required. Required
- Industrial Hygiene background. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: Maintains a NYSDOL Division of Safety and Health Asbestos Supervisor Certificate. Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.