Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Perform detailed system planning studies and analysis for the overall distribution system with an emphasis on long term forecasting, contingency modeling, determining capital budget requirements, identification and support for non-wires alternatives, identification and prioritization of distribution projects throughout the Company.
- Serve as a field subject matter expert in the design, upgrade, and maintenance of the Orange and Rockland Distribution System. Perform detailed analysis to identify specific projects to improve system reliability and performance. Initiate and design projects, provide cost estimates/timing, coordinate budget meetings, and provide technical support during the design/construction of the project.
- Serve as the primary contact for system improvement work, including the design, prioritization, and execution of overhead capital projects. Work closely with operations in the development of the overhead capital plan.
- Each year develop and refine the smart grid automation plan. This includes identifying and prioritizing locations for new devices based on design standards and circuit performance.
- Prepare and review design and operating specifications, assist in the development of construction standards and specifications, perform technical analytical studies, assist in the evaluation and development of new computer applications.
- Provide technical/operational guidance to various departments regarding equipment purchasing, standard development, and implementation. This will require field testing and training as needed.
- Provide troubleshooting support for the successful design and implementation of various components utilized in the Orange and Rockland system. May be required to write work or operating procedures.
- Communicate effectively between field forces and company departments (engineering, field operations, utility of the future, new business, purchasing) as well as outside contractors who provide services.
- Maintain all applicable records and provide supporting documentation to the Distribution Engineering team so that company reporting requirements are met.
- Act as a field technical representative for Distribution Engineering that can liaise and perform outreach as required to local municipalities/emergency responders.
- Prepare and review Design and Operation Specifications.
- Perform Technical & Analytical Studies.
- Seek out and attend technical conferences/trade shows to identify new technologies to improve system reliability, safety, and performance.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree Preferably in a related technical or Management field 7 years Working in the design and/or operation of the electric distribution system
- Master's Degree 10 years Working in the design and/or operation of the electric distribution system.
Relevant Work Experience
- Minimum of 7 years work experience in Distribution Engineering or Operations field. Required
- Above work experience should demonstrate a thorough understanding of overhead electrical design standards with a background in the design, construction and/or management of distribution engineering projects. Applicable experience may also include performing power flow studies using modeling software. Required
- Must possess a good understanding of electrical theory. Required
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills. Required
- Must demonstrate a high energy level and promote a positive work ethic in support of our Company Values, especially the Way We Work. Required
- Polished and effective presentation skills to deliver information, training, and status to varying audiences. Required
- Understanding of system operations and electric system work practices preferred. Preferred
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.