Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The main focus of this position is to expand and secure a large enterprise network, primarily for projects having an information security emphasis. Firm knowledge of technologies like access lists, algorithms used for encryption, certificates and VPNs will be used in greenfield and refresh projects. You-ll Working knowledge of Cisco routing and switching technologies and implement them for maximum uptime and minimal support.
- Assess the impact of vendor vulnerability announcements and work to remediate our equipment if exposed.
- Work on projects led by the ConEd Information Security department. Provides guidance and/or conducts configuration, solution and quality reviews. Helps coordinate with all internal IT groups and other organizations, including vendors to ensure standard are implemented and issues addressed. Directs team members as required for resolution.
- Develop Request for Proposal (RFP) specifications; perform technical evaluations, and make recommendations. Serve as project manager for small-scale vendor installation of infrastructure components. (2H)
- Integrate new technologies and protocols into existing networks. Develop visual diagrams and project work plans.
- Solve problems and remedy performance bottlenecks in the network using performance metrics, capacity management and performance tools.
- Apply your personal dedication to remediate any issues that could impact communication with our customers and internal users.
- Assist in developing and tracking project and program budgets.
- We strive to minimize unexpected after-hours work. However, Con Edison is always open, so we need you to be available for emergencies, particularly during weather events that impact our customers. There's also occasional planned work during evenings and weekends.
- Travel to other company locations in NYC, Westchester and occasionally Rockland County as necessary. .
- Automate daily activities through scripting; assist other team members in our Cisco UCS and Nutanix-based data centers when needed.
- Perform other related tasks & assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree And three (3) to five (5) years of relevant work experience minimum of five (5) years experience for 2H Systems Specialist/Sr Network Engineer; OR a minimum of three (3) years of related IT work experience (2L Sr Systems Analyst/Network Engineer) Or
- Associate's Degree And five to seven years of relevant work experience minimum of seven (7) years experience for 2H Systems Specialist/Sr Network Engineer; OR a minimum of five (5) years of related IT work experience (2L Sr Systems Analyst/Network Engineer) Or
- High School Diploma/GED And seven to ten years of relevant work experience minimum of ten (10) years experience for 2H Systems Specialist/Sr Network Engineer; OR a minimum of seven (7) years of related IT work experience (2L Sr Systems Analyst/Network Engineer)
Required Work Experience
- Experience designing, developing, implementing infrastructure solutions using IP Required
- Good judgment to render sound technical and business decisions Required
- Thorough understanding of communication protocols and standards Required
- Strong understanding of cyber security principles Required
- Expert level understanding of access-lists Required
- Experience with a number of these technologies: IPSec VPNs, WCCP, AES/GCM, SSH, certificates, IKE, Cisco ISE, firewall policy requirements Required
- Solid understanding of architectural concepts and practices leading to solutions that are reliable, maintainable, reusable, scalable and extensible Required
- Ability to communicate designs and give persuasive presentations. Ability to interact with all levels of staff and communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience. Required
- Knowledge of protocols including EIGRP/OSPF/BGP, 802.1q (VLANs) Preferred
- Experience with implementing or integrating commercially available infrastructure components Preferred
- Experience in evaluating technology of establishing standard designs Preferred
- Ability to establish medium and long-term plans and priorities and estimate investment requirements. Pref
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Develops and delivers effective presentations
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs at times.
- Must wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as hard hat, gloves, and safety shoes when required.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.