Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- This person will join the Analytics Center of Excellence (ACE) team within the Office of the IT Architecture Group. The team is responsible for providing advanced analytics and decision support solutions. The Senior Data Scientist is responsible for applying innovative analytical and research approaches to help Con Edison tackle complex and strategically important problems. S/he will become a hub for deep insight to support and enable the entire organization to continuously develop new capabilities and solutions along the data analytics maturity curve. This responsibility is enterprise-wide and includes supporting Con Edison's information governance framework, defining and guiding our advanced analytics capabilities, policy, best practices, and compliance surrounding data access and security.
- Sample responsibilities will include:
- Performing geospatial analysis using enterprise and open source datasets for modeling to solve key data science problems, using ArcGIS software,
- Administering GIS project workflows for the Analytics Center of Excellence,
- Collaborating with other data scientists to develop and apply predictive models to business problems
- Working extensively with key stakeholders across business analytics teams to understand business needs, vet opportunities, and deliver analytically-based recommendations to drive action
- Partnering with other IT functional areas to deploy and operationalize spatial databases,
- Delivering presentations to communicate technical ideals and analytical findings to technical and non-technical peers, stakeholders, and executive
- Working with ACE leadership to calculate the benefits derived from analytics projects
- Coaching junior or non-technical peers to help them structure, drive, and communicate analytical projects
- Evangelize the use of analytics and communicate best practices
- Responsible for support, maintenance, architecture and development of geospatial analytics for supporting cross commodity operations in the GIS domain.
- Commitment to the ideals of developing a proactive, customer-centric culture to foster trust and confidence among customers and improve value for all our stakeholders.
- Work as a member of the analytics staff within the Analytics Center of Excellence. Foster a working environment that generates team building, creative thinking, and skills development. Mentor and grow analytics talent at Con Edison, both within the Analytics Center of Excellence and across the enterprise
- Engage with leaders, project sponsors, and stakeholders to understand their needs. Identify and educate on where and how analytics can provide the best insights and add the most value.
- Conduct projects to provide insight into business needs and behavior; engage in analytic design to ensure relevant findings. Ensure application of quality controls throughout projects.
- Drive creative and innovative analytic applications and results. Keep abreast of industry, market, and company trends. Partner with business leaders to champion the adoption of new data analytic approaches, techniques, and capabilities. Work with teams on analytics efforts across the company.
- Work with business partners on the interpretation, implications, and use of analytic results. Prepare and deliver presentations that translate analytic insights into tangible, actionable solutions for business users to implement.
- Build deep expertise in Con Edison's and external data. Consult on this knowledge and apply it to complex analytic projects. Work with IT teams and business partners to identify gaps in data and analytic tools gaps and recommend corrective action.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and increased team effectiveness; lead initiatives to achieve improvements.
- Support, inform, and enhance Con Edison's information governance framework.
- Assist ACE leadership to define, guide, and implement Con Edison's advanced analytics capabilities (e.g., spatial data, imagery, LiDAR,).
- Creates and/or modifies GIS related code to meet specifications. Tests and debugs work.
- Plan and evaluate new technologies to provide technical solutions for business requirements.
- Provide guidance and consulting to business organizations on business and technology solutions.
- Plan and establish software standards to support critical enterprise analytic needs.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Master's Degree with a minimum of three (3) years full time relevant work experience Or
- Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of five (5) years full time relevant work experience Or
- Associate's Degree with a minimum of seven (7) years full time relevant work experience Or
- High School Diploma/GED with a minimum of nine (9) years full time relevant work experience
- Master's Degree preferably in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Science, Geography, Physical Science, Data Analytics, Cartography, or Statistics And with a minimum of three (3) years full time relevant work experience
- Bachelor's Degree preferably in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Science, Geography, Physical Science, Data Analytics, Cartography, or Statistics And with a minimum of five (5) years full time relevant work experience
Required Work Experience
- Expertise with mining large data sets to identify key themes and trends Required
- Experience working in an GIS related discipline requiring creating, analyzing, and interpreting spatial data, including geostatistics. Required
- Experience and demonstrated understanding of ESRI's suite of products including; ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Apps and ArcGIS for Developers. Required
- Expertise with integrating disparate data sources including internal and external data sources, and or services (JSON, GeoJSON, REST, RSS, XML, SOAP) Required
- Proficiency with presenting complex analysis to audiences of varying technical backgrounds Required
- Excellent communications, interpersonal, and stakeholder management skills Required
- Experience supporting vendor ERP work management systems Required
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects, including project tracking and documentation Required
- Experience working with relational databases and writing SQL queries and views Preferred
- Experience with ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) principles and applications Preferred
- Experience and understanding in web services development and principles Preferred
- Intermediate-level Python programming and model building Preferred
- Expertise/understanding of Agile Application Development processes, and Application Development technology implementations. Pref
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Develops and delivers effective presentations
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.