Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Responsible for providing EHS expertise to Shared Services (USS and CSS) on related environment, health and safety issues to ensure regulatory compliance, as well as help create a culture where there are zero-at-risk behaviors and conditions. Knowledgeable in OSHA standards.
- Commitment to the Way We Work Principles, and adheres to the Company's Standards of Business Conduct and other Company procedures including but limited to Environmental, Health and Safety (''EH&S''), Equal Employment Opportunity (''EEO''), discipline, and security.
- Maintains expertise in EH&S matters pertinent to operating areas and provides support and information to all levels of the organization. Serves as knowledgeable person for a wide range of EH&S issues for Shared Services organizations.
- Support Shared Services to ensure that all local operations are conducted in compliance with federal, state and local EH&S regulations and standards as well as Company procedures and protocols.
- Initiates and disseminates communications on EH&S issues to promote a strong EH&S culture. Ensures that EH&S information is accurately and efficiently disseminated.
- Perform accident/Injury Response and Investigations.
- Review and respond to safety and environmental compliance findings noted by regulatory agencies or internal company auditing teams.
- Assesses the effectiveness of EH&S efforts, documents deficiencies, and coordinates with field groups to pursue corrective actions and preventive measures with the goal of protecting the worker, the general public and the environment.
- Generate accurate incident reports/situational summaries for all injuries and accidents.
- Perform Job Briefing Observations, Hazard Assessments to eliminate and mitigate EHS risks.
- Assumes Emergency Management roles and responsibilities to support emergency response, when needed.
- Review and close out EMIS and SHIMS reports/cases.
- Review and accept contractor Health and Safety Plans.
- Develop and implement new Safety Strategies, Work Process Improvements, and Resource Conservation Initiatives, which have positive Company-wide implications.
- Review SPCC Plans, Hazardous Waste Contingency Plans, Respiratory Protection Plans and other plans as assigned.
- Assumes Delegation of Authority for Section and Department Managers as needed.
- May perform other related assignments as required.
- Perform EH&S incident analysis; complete entries into the Safety and Health Information Management System (SHIMS) and fulfill reporting requirements (as required).
- Master's Degree And Project Specialist (2H): Minimum two (2) years' relevant EHS work experience Project Specialist position (2H): EHS experience in EHS program development as well as experience with SPCC plans, RMP, HWCP, HCP, spill response, some experience Hazardous waste management Or
- Bachelor's Degree And Sr. Specialist (2L): Minimum 4 years relevant EHS work experience; OR,
- Project Specialist (2H): Minimum three (3) years' relevant EHS specific experience in SPCC plans, RMP, HWCP, HCP, spill response, Asbestos, some experience with Hazardous Waste management, incident investigations. Sr. Specialist position (2L): Prefer EHS experience in SPCC plans, RMP, HWCP, HCP, spill response, Asbestos, some experience with Hazardous waste management, incident investigations.
- Project Specialist position (2H): Specific EHS experience.
- Associate's Degree And Sr Specialist (2L): Four (4) years' relevant EHS work experience Sr. Specialist position (2L); EHS experience with strong knowledge of EHS /OSHA regulations and procedures. Experience in asbestos, RMP, HCP, SPCC plans, asbestos, incident investigations.
- Master's Degree Safety, engineering, physical sciences or biological science
- Bachelor's Degree Safety, engineering, physical science, or biological science
- Associate's Degree Safety, engineering, physical sciences, or biological science
Required Work Experience
- Strong working knowledge of Federal. State and Local EH&S Regulations for environmental and safety concerns (including but not limited to asbestos, lead, natural resources, water discharge management, oil spill management, hazardous waste, remediation issues, excavations, confined space, cooling towers, air emissions). Required
- Knowledgeable and experience in EHS investigations. Required
- Knowledgeable with SPCC plans, HWCP, RMP, HCP, spill response. Required
- Knowledge and experience in Health and Safety Plan review and acceptance. Required
- Knowledgeable in hazardous waste management. Preferred
- Working knowledge of SHIMS, EMIS, COS and Permit Tracking system. Pref
Skills & Ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple priorities
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.