Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Control Systems Engineering department within the Central Engineering organization seeks to hire an Engineer to join the Relay Protection and Metering Engineering Section. The department seeks a highly motivated candidate who demonstrates a strong commitment to excellence and understands the vital importance of personal accountability with an ability to render good business decisions. Must have a high regard for personal accountability, and understand the critical importance of Commitment to Engineering Excellence. Must demonstrate a high energy level and promote a positive work ethic in support of our Corporate Values.
- The Engineer will be assigned to design and apply relay protection systems, including teleprotection channels. He/she will also design modifications to existing relay systems in steps to minimize equipment outages, review schematic and wiring diagrams, test results data, and procurement specifications. The duties also include performing short circuit calculations and relay coordination studies.
- Will develop documents regarding relay protection systems, for use by operating personnel. Will keep their supervisor informed on a timely basis of actual and/or anticipated problems of the assignments that are his/her responsibility.
- Will coordinate engineering activities with Substation Operations, Construction Management, and PST to ensure that the project is completed successfully.
- The Engineer will ensure that the long term goal of the capital project is successfully implemented and that the project is completed within the budget. He/she prepares appropriations and project-scoping documents and ensures that they are in accordance with Central Engineering processes and procedures.
- Will participate in engineering design review meetings and manage outside vendor design efforts. Resolve field problems during commissioning of relay systems.
- The individual must demonstrate analytical ability and the capability to resolve emergencies associated with relay protection systems.
- Will be required to represent Con Edison on regional relay protection committees. Experienced individuals will be required to mentor and train less experienced engineers.
- Keep supervision informed on a timely basis of actual and/or anticipated problems of the assignments that are his/her responsibility.
- Periodically be available 24 hours a day to consult with operating organizations on relay problems and resolve emergencies associated with relay protection systems.
- Perform other task and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 2 years full time work experience, which includes one year work experience in power systems engineering or operations - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 3 years work in any of the following areas: relay protection, power systems engineering or operations - ENGINEER (2L), Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 8 years experience in the application of relay protection systems at either the distribution or transmission level - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H) Or
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering And 6 years experience in the application of relay protection systems at either the distribution or transmission level- SENIOR ENGINEER (2H)
Required Work Experience
- Requires the ability to deliver exemplary customer service. Required
- Must possess strong technical competence, be well organized, and detail oriented. Required
- Must be flexible to handle multiple assignments with changing priorities, and deadlines. Required
- Must have demonstrated analytical abilities. Required
- Must have a high regard for personal accountability, and understand the critical importance of Commitment to Engineering Excellence. Required
- Requires a Bachelor's degree, or higher, in Electrical Engineering. Required
- Computer and mainframe experience required. Required
- Must demonstrate a high energy level and promote a positive work ethic in support of our Corporate Values. Required
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills and have the ability to effectively interact with subordinates, colleagues and various levels of management. Required
- Requires computer proficiency to include MS Office. Required
- Must possess strong technical competence, be well organized, and detail oriented. Must be flexible to handle multiple assignments with changing priorities and deadlines. Required
- Must demonstrate the ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects and assignments. Preferred
- Must have good project management skills with a demonstrated record in implementing multi-discipline projects. Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be available for travel both regionally and continent-wide, to attend conferences, meetings, etc. as needed.
- Must be capable of working in various indoor and outdoor conditions.
- Must be able to walk/climb/stand extensively.
- Must be able to work in power plants and high voltage substations and wear the required PPE as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.