Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Operations Manager will direct all activities related to the safe, reliable, efficient and economical generation of steam and electricity. This position will oversee the 24/7 rotating personnel responsible for safe plant operations. Additionally, this position will establish and continuously review performance standards, operating procedures, work methods and procedures, and departmental objectives.
- Make sure that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governmental regulations. Serve as a Safety champion and ensure implementation of Company safety, health and environmental programs for all employees.
- Ensure the Operations Department adheres to the Steam Operations ''Standards and Expectation Guidelines for Operations Personnel''.
- Provide leadership and control for the daily management of the station, maintain material condition of plant and operating equipment, and support the work management process.
- Validate that the work groups are following safe work practices in accordance with OSHA regulations and all corporate, central operations and station level procedures.
- Respond to emergencies at any time, and act as Incident Commander as necessary, and ensure adequate training and qualifications are obtained.
- Ensure Control room conduct is maintained in a professional manner to minimize distractions.
- Effectively communicate appropriate procedural changes, lessons learned, and engineering plans and specifications to supervisors to ensure the proper operation and restoration of Steam generation and electric generation equipment.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of plant status, derates, maintenance and forced outages.
- Review and update existing operating procedures with the Shift Supervisors. Create and implement new operating procedures where necessary. Ensure compliance to procedures by the operating group.
- Perform appropriate Managerial functions in the interview and placement process of new and transferring personnel. Follow through to ensure timely action on labor issues.
- Ensure the proper and required training and/or licensing of employees, and compliance with all regulatory agencies, such as FDNY, DEC, DEP, PSC USCG, NERC,FERC and their stated permits: SPDES, Title V, MOSF,PBS,CBS is maintained at all times.
- Administer the work permit process and conduct monthly technical audit of OO/WP.
- Promote a customer service focus among supervisors, mechanics and operators, while emphasizing professionalism, honesty, concern, courtesy, excellence and teamwork.
- Authorize the installation of temporary modifications and temporary operating instructions.
- Prioritize new and pending work requests and coordinate work efforts with the planning group.
- Strive to improve morale and productivity of subordinates. Strong knowledge of Company rules, terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the grievance process. Determine appropriate disciplinary action, conduct disciplinary interviews, participate in settlement of grievances, and evaluate subordinates' work performance in a timely manner.
- Perform quality control reviews.
- Create/Encourage a culture that engrain Zero Accident, Operational Excellence, Effective Cost Management, Diversity and Inclusion, and Enhancing the Customer's Experience.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree And 8 years' experience in an operating area Or
- Master's Degree And 6 years' experience in an operating area
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering or related field preferred. And 8 years' experience in an operating area
- Master's Degree Engineering or related field preferred. And 6 years' experience in an operating area
Required Work Experience
- Minimum 5 years prior direct or indirect supervisory experience. Required
- Work experience or knowledge of outage coordination. Required
- Ability to interpret and analyze operating reports, map and blueprints. Required
- Must possess strong leadership, managerial, communication, and interpersonal skills required along with the ability to work as part of a team. Required
- Knowledge of steam generating systems; steam/power utilities and steam distribution systems. Required
- General knowledge of all steam distribution equipment and administrative processes as well as company processes. Required
- Thorough working knowledge of the General Instructions Governing Work on System Electrical Equipment (Rule Book), Steam Operations Procedures, safe work practices and procedures, operating orders & work permits and use of appropriate personal protective equipment. Required
- Must have a proven record of fostering the principles of the teamwork with other Steam Operations groups and Company departments to achieve results. Required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and computer mainframe applications. Required
- Working knowledge of the Work Management Systems (e.g. Maximo, DataSplice, AutoLog, COSRS). Required
- Strong oral, written, presentation, and communication skills. Req
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: NYC Stationary Engineer's High Pressure Preferred
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within O&R and CECONY service territory, as needed.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.