Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The primary responsibility of the GUW in Steam Distribution is to assist in the maintenance and repair of the steam distribution system, perform mandated inspection programs, and respond to emergency calls. Selected candidates must possess technical and mechanical ability to learn to perform steam distribution maintenance in the field.
- The selected candidates will be required to work both indoor and outdoor environments in all weather conditions, to enter manholes, access/enter customer premises, and interact with customers on a regular basis, and will be expected to provide outstanding customer service and present a positive image of the company to our customers and the general public.
- Successful candidates must have the ability to follow safe work practices and procedures; comply with environmental policies and procedures.
- Candidate must be able to work in high temperature environments and in tight work areas like a manhole.
- Perform standard maintenance functions; and, the ability to use hand and power tools.
- The candidate must also be capable of effectively communicating with our customers and writing clear/concise reports.
- The candidate must possess the mechanical ability to operate and maintain steam service piping in customers' premises and to read steam meters and drawings.
- The candidate will obtain burner/fire guard certification, emergency response/Hazwoper first responder certification and obtain NYC/NYS asbestos handler certification.
- Obtain certificates of fitness and/or licenses [including but not limited to a Commercial Driver's License ("CDL")]; safely operate company vehicles; become certified in First Aid and CPR.
- Selected candidates will be required to work overtime, various rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays, based upon operating needs.
- Candidates must also have the ability to advance through career path training.
- If you accept a job offer in connection with this posting, you will be assigned to Steam Distribution Field Operations in Manhattan.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Selected candidates must pass a Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.