Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
It is an essential job requirement to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19 for this role, subject to reasonable accommodation for religious or disability-related reasons.
- The Equipment and Field Engineering Department of Central Engineering is seeking to hire highly motivated and dedicated professionals to join its Substation Equipment Engineering Section. The candidates must be well organized, detail oriented, and able to render sound technical decisions. These individuals must have a high regard for personal accountability and understand the critical importance of the department's commitment to technical, environmental, and safety excellence. The candidates must recognize the importance of Commitment to Excellence and Rules We Live By, be able to provide exemplary customer service, and be able to handle multiple assignments with changing priorities. Successful candidates must be able to meet deadlines and must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to interact with personnel on all levels and in all organizations, including outside companies. A Bachelor's degree in Engineering is required. Preference will be given to candidates with a specialization in electrical or power systems. Expertise in and experience with the development and application of technical principles in substation equipment rating, application, specification, engineering, operation, and maintenance is required for the Engineer and Senior Engineer titles.
- Will be responsible for providing the R&D, application, design engineering, specification preparation, purchase, construction and maintenance support for major substation electrical equipment (HV and MV circuit breakers, power transformers, MV switchgear, capacitor banks, gas-insulated substations (GIS), instrument transformers, dc systems, test sets, etc.). This includes preparation of electrical equipment specifications, technical analysis of bid proposals, review of all manufacturers designs and drawings, factory and field inspection, and furnishing of technical expertise to the Construction and Operating Departments. Responsible for providing field support to system and equipment problems. They will provide technical guidance and resolve problems during substation equipment installation, maintenance, and repair or replacement of equipment. For problems related to equipment installation, failures, and equipment maintenance, candidates will provide field support by responding to system and equipment problems; will perform root-cause failure analysis to determine the cause of the failure or problem, whether the failure or problem is due to engineering, design, or manufacturing deficiencies or due to system or operational conditions; and will make determinations about equipment failure trending. The successful candidates will issue test procedures and determine whether problematic equipment should be repaired or replaced. Candidates will coordinate support from other Central Engineering groups in responding to emergencies and to service and maintenance problems. A majority of the candidate's time will be spent in the electrical substations. Will provide technical support to Distribution Engineering, Electric Planning and Substation Operations for substation equipment, and develop and maintain substation equipment ratings under various ambient, substation configuration, and system operating conditions. Duties will also include monitoring and trending of equipment outages and failures and of equipment maintenance performance; as well as the preparation of monthly summaries of outage time and reliability KPI, and of reports on the root cause of problem reports. Understanding of specification, design, manufacture, operation and maintenance of major electrical equipment will be required to ascertain its thermal limiting element and failure mechanism. Candidates will respond to technical questions in a timely manner and monitor and evaluate operation and maintenance for reliability, safety, and efficiency. Candidates will interface with equipment manufacturers, industry standards and R&D organizations.
- Required to work independently, initiate areas of investigation, and drive projects/programs independently to achieve results.
- Prepares facility physical arrangements, engineering cost estimates, reviews physical schematics, and physical construction drawings.
- Prepares construction specifications, assists during construction.
- Prepares equipment and accessory purchase specifications; review and evaluates manufactures' proposals and drawings.
- Design control and instrument systems, process systems and equipment installations.
- Assists in preparation of operating, maintenance, and test procedures.
- Participates in preparation of budgets, appropriations, scoping documents, concept reviews, design field walks, cost reviews.
- Conduct and participates in field evaluation/analysis of field equipment or system misoperations, prepares failure analysis reports and other analyses as may be required.
- Assist user with ESR initiation, review and follow-up.
- Prepares test procedures.
- Provides technical assistance as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 2 years work experience to include one year of applicable engineering experience - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 3 years work experience in the development and application of technical principles in substation equipment rating, application, specification, engineering, operation, and maintenance - ENGINEER (2L) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 8 years work experience in the development and application of technical principles in substation equipment rating, application, specification, engineering, operation, and maintenance - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H) Or
- Master's Degree with a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 6 years experience in the development and application of technical principles in substation equipment rating, application, specification, engineering, operation, and maintenance - SENIOR ENGINEER (2H)
- Professional Engineering (PE) license and/or Master's degree is preferred.
Required Work Experience
- Requires computer proficiency to include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Required
- Requires strong written and verbal communication skills Required
- Requires strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel on all levels. Required
- Should be knowledgeable in basic engineering design and principles. Required
- Ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects and assignments Preferred
- Preference will be given to candidates with a specialization in electrical or power systems. Preferred
- Associate Engineer (1H): Requires two years of full time work experience to include at least 1 year of applicable engineering work experience.
- Engineer (2L): Requires 3 years applicable engineering work experience to include moderate experience in the application, specification, engineering, operation, installation, and maintenance of electrical equipment and systems.
- Senior Engineer (2H): Requires 8 years of engineering work experience in the design, engineering, application, and troubleshooting of major substation electrical equipment, e.g., power transformers, high-voltage (HV) circuit breakers, medium-voltage (MV) switchgear. Applicants who have a Masters degree require 6 years experience.
- Must have working knowledge of applicable codes and industry standards associated with the equipment.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able to work in and around substations that are under construction and/or in service.
- The positions involve working around electrical equipment, working indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions, and ladder climbing.
- A driver's license is required for travel within service territory and beyond as needed.
- Must be available to work additional hours, as needed, for system emergencies or equipment outage schedules.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.