Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Responsible for supervising and leading the design team in the coordination, development, review, and approval of detailed drawings with associated calculations and analysis for Central Engineering construction packages for all substations, generating stations, and transmission structures and systems.
- Provide supervision and guidance to the design team in carrying out their assigned tasks including having the ability to perform independent calculations either by hand or utilizing design software, code review and application, and coordinating design efforts across the multiple engineering disciplines.
- Provide technical leadership as directed and as required in support of the department's or section's initiatives and project related and non-project related assignments.
- Ensure that detailed designs comply with regulatory requirements, company procedures, and industry best practices.
- Must be able to participate, initiate, and lead field visits with project team members, internal and external, as required to execute work within the project's schedule and other requirements.
- Responsible for overseeing the training and professional development of design team.
- Monitor and provide feedback on design team's work performance and prepare work performance evaluations.
- Provide direction and participate in the resolution of union matters, as required.
- Develop and direct the activities of outside design consultants including drafting RFP's and scoping documents for ''outside services'' support as required in support of the section's assignments.
- Become familiar with Central Engineering's Operations Manual and administrative functions associated with project coordination. Lead coordination of design efforts across the multiple disciplines as required.
- Develop work plans, schedules, and priorities for design team to meet project due dates and communicate those to Project Team Members.
- Must be able to work independently, develop solutions to complex problems, and assign resources effectively.
- Must be well organized, detail oriented, and able to render sound business decisions.
- Must be capable of managing changing priorities and multiple assignments while meeting stringent deadlines
- Must have a high regard for personal accountability and understand the critical importance of commitment to excellence.
- Must be able to promote a positive work ethic in support of the company's corporate values, possess a high energy level, and have a demonstrated commitment to environmental excellence and safety in the workplace.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills and have the demonstrated ability to effectively interact with various levels of management.
- Must be able to work in substation environments and other Company assets with noise, heat, confined spaces, etc. He/she must be able to make field visits as necessary and wear required PPE. This position requires working indoors and outdoors and climbing of ladders and stairs.
- Provides technical and project management assistance as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, And 2 years of full time work experience to include one year of applicable engineering type experience - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, And 3 years of applicable engineering work experience in substations, generating stations, and/or transmission structures - ENGINEER (2L) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, And 8 years of applicable engineering work experience in substations, generating stations, and/or transmission structures - SR. ENGINEER (2H) Or
- Master's Degree and, a Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering, And 6 years of applicable engineering work experience in substations, generating stations, and/or transmission structures - SR. ENGINEER (2H)
Required Work Experience
- Requires 2 years of full time work experience to include at least one year of applicable type engineering experience. Required
- Requires computer proficiency to include Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Required
- Requires strong written and verbal communication skills. Required
- Requires strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel on all levels. Required
- Should be knowledgeable in basic engineering design and principles. Required
- Computer proficiency of AutoCAD is required. Required
- Previous supervisory experience and demonstrated proficiency in conflict resolution and labor relations issues is preferred for the entry level (1H) position and required for the (2L) and (2H) levels. as the selected candidate will be supervising both in-house designers and out-of-house design vendors. Preferred
- Ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects and assignments is preferred Preferred
- Computer proficiency of 3D design software is preferred.
- Prior civil engineering experience, project coordination, and contract management experience is preferred.
- A working knowledge of all applicable industry and regulatory codes, standards, and practices, such as the NYC and NYS Building and Zoning Codes, AISC, ACI, ASCE, and NESC is preferred. Preferred
- A thorough understanding of the environmental issues that affect civil projects is preferred.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Professional Engineer (PE) Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able to make field visits and travel to company locations and wear the required PPE as needed.
- Other requirements that are position specific will be noted in the posting.
- Must be able to work in generating stations or substation environments with noise, heat, confined spaces, etc. Must be able and willing to work indoors and outdoors and climbing of ladders and stairs is also required.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.