Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Communicates, both verbally and in writing, in a clear logical manner that is easy to understand. Listens effectively and allows others to express their thoughts without prejudging.
- Utilizes appropriate mainframe and/or personal computer applications. Maintains the integrity of the systems used through established security practices.
- Responsible for the preparation, integrity and maintenance of all records within the job scope. Ensures that all records, including appropriate reference materials, are kept current and are available.
- Ensures that good housekeeping practices are followed for all areas of responsibility.
- Develops personnel to achieve maximum efficiency and productivity by instructing, motivating, counselling and utilizing appropriate training.
- Strives to improve morale and productivity of subordinates. Adheres to Company rules and terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Determines appropriate disciplinary action, conducts interviews, participates in settlement of grievances, and evaluates subordinates' work performance.
- Supervises the startup and shutdown of equipment under normal and emergency conditions. Ensures that all equipment is operated in a safe, reliable, and efficient manner. Decides whether to remove or restrict the operation of units. Maintains liaison with System Operations and CIG. Prepares trouble reports and conducts investigations pertinent to same. Administers maintenance memorandum, work permit, and operating orders as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree 3 years' experience power plant, US Navy, or merchant shipping environment Or
- Associate's Degree 4 years' experience power plant, US Navy, or merchant shipping environment Or
- High School Diploma/GED 5 years' experience power plant, US Navy, or merchant shipping environment
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering 3 years' experience power plant, US Navy, or merchant shipping environment
Required Work Experience
- experience in a power plant, US Navy, or merchant shipping environment Required
- working knowledge of a control room, boiler and high/low pressure auxiliary operations, plant trouble shooting, boiler mechanics, blueprint reading and pipe fitting. Required
- knowledge of safe work practices/procedures, operating orders, work permits and use of appropriate personal protective equipment Required
- proficient in computer programs/applications Required
- Supervisory experience Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Boiler License NYC Stationary Engineer's License (1H) 1 1/2 Yrs Required
- Boiler License NYC Stationary Engineer's License (2L) Upon Hire Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confimed spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.