Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Government, Regional & Community Affairs team in Corporate Affairs is seeking a Specialist for its Staten Island office. The successful candidate will be highly-motivated, goal-oriented and demonstrate a strong commitment to building positive relations with local communities, elected officials, not-for-profit organizations and other key stakeholders.
- Serve as regional and community liaison with local elected officials, community boards, government agencies, not-for-profit organizations and other community and stakeholder groups.
- Serve as project manager for new initiatives, infrastructure-related activities, and coordination with government agencies and external stakeholders; make presentations on issues ranging from major infrastructure projects to new energy efficiency and solar programs.
- Manage all aspects of public presentations and reports, including presenting to the internal and external stakeholders.
- Represent the Company at local community meetings and events and at meetings with elected officials and coordinate briefing materials and presentations for the local community.
- Serve on project teams for major infrastructure projects and develop and implement strategies for community communications with key stakeholders and local communities.
- Facilitate relations with government agencies particularly on complex and multi-faceted construction projects.
- Work closely with developers, government officials and not-for-profit organizations on major new capital projects in their region.
- Monitor and report on regional and local development issues that may impact the Company.
- Manage relationships with not-for-profit organizations supported by the Company's Strategic Partnerships program, including but not limited to reviewing grant proposals and conducting site visits. Identify new programs for funding through the Strategic Partnership charitable and sponsorship programs and prepare recommendations.
- Participate in community engagement for new Company initiatives such as promoting Electric Vehicle infrastructure and other electrifications efforts.
- Serve as front-line emergency responder and participate in all aspects of Corporate Affairs responsibilities during emergencies and assist in preparation of emergency preparedness information. This responsibility may also involve overnight shift work.
- Coordinate with and provide support to Media Relations. Respond to and track complaints and critical correspondence from stakeholders including elected officials, community boards and customers.
- Coordinate special events and support the Company's volunteer initiative.
- May perform other assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 3 years of work experience
Required Work Experience
- Minimum 3 years experience working in or with government, not for profit management, urban planning, sustainability, community relations, communications or a related field. Required
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills to effectively work with various levels of local government, management, community groups and elected officials. Required
- Must have strong oral, written, and presentation communications skills. Required
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office. Required
- Must be efficient, organized and excellent at follow-through. Required
- Demonstrated project management skills. Required
- Strong project management skills are preferred. Preferred
- General knowledge of company operations, energy and environmental policy issues, energy efficiency, and renewables is preferred. Preferred
- Experience in public speaking and making presentations in front of public audiences is preferred.
Skills & Ability
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple priorities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
- Develops and delivers effective presentations
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Ability to work within tight timeframes and meet strict deadlines
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Must sit or stand to use a keyboard, mouse, and computer for entire shift
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.