Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Section Manager is responsible for the daily operation/activities of the ChemLab. The ChemLab provides oil and environmental laboratory testing and sampling services for the company. The Section Manager will provide overall leadership for the ChemLab, including the planning, directing and controlling of resources required to manage sample receiving, sample analysis and reporting, sampling services, transmission feeder leak searches and quality assurance/control. The Section Manager is also responsible for the ChemLab's budget, procedures, facilities, Certifications and training program.
- Provide the leadership and direction of the ChemLab team of management and union employees and strive to provide a high level of laboratory and field services to the company's operations in a timely manner and in accordance with all regulations.
- Direct the activities of the ChemLab's laboratory and field operations staff in the performance of various sample analyses and in the performance of environmental sampling and field analyses.
- Evaluate the ChemLab's current operation on a frequent basis to ensure alignment with the company's goals and optimal operations.
- Instruct and motivate staff so as to obtain the maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Oversee staff performance, set expectations and frequently provide feedback and reviews.
- Perform duties such as hiring, promoting and other Human Resources related functions in accordance with company policy.
- Oversees the ChemLab's budget and make adjustments to operations as needed to achieve budgetary goals.
- Ensure the ChemLab maintains the SME in the technical fields of laboratory and field analyses, laboratory and field instrumentation, environmental sampling and preservation protocols.
- Ensure the ChemLab establishes and maintains a sufficient range of certifications to perform environmental analyses in order to support the company's operations in a productive manner.
- Manage the operation and maintenance of four custom built mobile laboratories used for transmission feeder leak detection.
- Develop and implement the ChemLab's quality programs in accordance with the requirements of the National Environmental Laboratory Accrediting Conference (NELAC) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Standard 17025, " General Requirements for the Competence of Testing and Calibration Laboratories".
- Establish, maintain and manage contracts with a sufficient number of commercial laboratories to support the anticipated needs of the company's operations for analytical services not provided directly by the ChemLab.
- Ensure the ChemLab has appropriate software systems in place to support the company's needs, including Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and other instrument based software.
- Ensure the subject matter expert (SME) is available to support the critical computer applications unique to the ChemLab's operations (e.g. LIMS, chromatography system, etc.).
- Ensure the ChemLab establishes and maintains a Radioactive Materials License in accordance with the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) regulations associated with the possession of radioactive sources in gas chromatograph detectors. Develop and implement a Radiation Protection Program in accordance with the Radioactive Materials License and NYSDOH regulations.
- Position may require working nights, weekends and holidays.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree Chemical, Environmental, Physical or Biological Sciences or Engineering preferred And Eight (8) years of relevant work
- experiences Experience in a laboratory, related technical field, or project management required
- Master's Degree Chemical, Environmental, Physical or Biological Sciences or Engineering And Six (6) years of relevant work experiences Experience in a laboratory, related technical field, or project management required
Required Work Experience
- Completion position specific EH&S training within one (1) year Required
- Managerial or supervisory experience Required
- Familiarity with CEHSPs or laboratory SOPs Preferred
- Familiarity with NELAC, ELAP and ISO regulations and guidelines Preferred
- Experience with environmental regulatory agencies, such as USEPA, NYSDEC and NYCDEP Preferred
- Project Management experience or coursework Preferred
- Financial Management experience or coursework Preferred
- Experience with Work Management Systems, such as Maximo Pref
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Effective conflict management skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective leadership skills
- Effectively coaches and delivers constructive feedback
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Assumes personal responsibility for actions
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
- Possesses strong technical aptitude
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
- Builds and manages effective teams
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Certified Project Management (CPM) Preferred Or
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Preferred
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confined spaces
- Must work in, under, and on top of all types of company vehicles/equipment
- Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
- Must climb ladders and stairs
- Must work on elevated platforms, scaffolds, catwalks, roofs, or equipment
- Must enter underground vaults through manholes
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must be approved and able to wear either a full- or half-face respirator without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must be approved and able to wear a full- or half-face respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), without facial hair or other condition that may interfere with the seal, in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Must climb in and out of manholes and excavations
- Must stand, walk, and climb ladder and stairs for a whole shift
- Must walk, stand, lift, climb, bend, kneel, stoop, and/or reach
- Must use hand tools and operate heavy equipment,i.e. jackhammers
- Must unload materials from delivery vehicles and deliver equipment and materials to various operating facilities
- Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
- Must work rotating shifts, including nights, midnights, weekends, and holidays
- Must work with equipment with manufacturer weight rating of 350 llbs.
- Must be able to use equipment with a maximum weight rating of 375 lbs when wearing and/or carrying 25lbs of clothing and equipment.
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must have a valid driver's license. Must be able to visit field sites in all types of weather conditions, work on lengthy
- projects and climb into trenches and underground structures.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.