Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Perform System Condition Assessments to identify and document system or component deficiencies. Generate and drive corrective actions.
- Use plant and industry standard software and analysis tools to initiate performance and availability improvement plans.
- Participate in project planning and construction (scope review, design basis requirements, walk-downs, code and procedure compliance, acceptance testing, etc.).
- Planning and support of major component overhauls and system outages.
- Root cause analysis of forced outages and component failures.
- Interface with and track activities of equipment and service providers, both inside and outside the Company.
- Documenting and driving correction of unplanned design basis changes.
- Generate or review acceptance test plans, and oversee or observe testing.
- Review and maintain System Descriptions, One-lines and other design basis documentation.
- Generate detailed reports and presentations to inform and guide Central Engineering capital planning and all levels of management.
- Provide engineering support to Station management.
- Represent the Section or Company on committees working on various issues.
- Establish and maintain effective lines of communication among various internal and external organizations.
- The candidate is required to provide technical and shift support during system emergencies.
- Prepares construction specifications, assists during construction.
- Prepares equipment and accessory purchase specifications; review and evaluates manufactures' proposals and drawings.
- Assists in preparation of operating, maintenance, and test procedures.
- Participates in preparation of budgets, appropriations, scoping documents, concept reviews, design field walks, cost reviews.
- Conduct and participates in field evaluation/analysis of field equipment or system misoperations, prepares failure analysis reports and other analyses as may be required.
- Assist user with Engineering Service Requests initiation, review and follow-up.
- Provides technical assistance as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 2 years work experience to include one year experience working on plant electric system design, construction, operations, maintenance, testing or analysis in the utility industry, oil & gas industry and/or marine propulsion is required - ASSOCIATE ENGINEER A (1H) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 3 years work experience working on plant electric system design, construction, operations, maintenance, testing or analysis in the utility industry, oil & gas industry and/or marine propulsion is required - ENGINEER (2L) Or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering And 8 years work experience working on plant electric system design, construction, operations, maintenance, testing or analysis in the utility industry, oil & gas industry and/or marine propulsion is required - SR ENGINEER (2H) Or
- Master's Degree with a Bachelors degree in Engineering And 6 years work experience working on plant electric system design, construction, operations, maintenance, testing or analysis in the utility industry, oil & gas industry and/or marine propulsion is required - SR ENGINEER (2H)
Required Work Experience
- A Bachelors Degree in Engineering is required.
- Requires a minimum of 2 years work experience to include one year working with: plant electric system design, construction, operations, maintenance, testing or analysis in the utility industry, oil & gas industry or marine propulsion is required.
- Experience with transformers (up to 120,000kVA), switchgear, breakers and power cables (up to 69kV), generators (up to 230,000kVA), motors, MCC's, power panels, buss-work, or electric transmission is required.
- A working knowledge of equipment sizing and analysis calculations, life cycle management, protection schemes, UPS, and dielectric fluids is required.
- Knowledge of State and Federal regulations affecting electric operations is required.
- Knowledge of industry standards and process safety measures is required.
- Either the possession of or ability to obtain an in-depth knowledge of Company and Industry codes, standards, procedures and specifications is required.
- The ideal candidate for this dynamic position must demonstrate a high energy level, understand the vital importance of Commitment to Excellence, and possess a high regard for Con Edison's Corporate Values and Mission.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interact with internal/external customers and agencies and various levels of management.
- Must be able to exercise independent judgment and render sound business decisions.
- Must be well-organized, detail oriented, flexible to handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills including experience in direct supervision, and the ability to positively manage and motivate others is required.
- Additionally, strong computer skills and familiarity with the Incident Command System are required. Computer literacy (including MS Office) is required.
- Must also be available for emergency work 24/7 as required by system conditions. Required
- At least 2 years work experience to include 1 year applicable engineering experience. Required
- Requires computer proficiency. Required
- Requires strong written and verbal communication skills. Required
- Requires strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with personnel on all levels. Required
- Should be knowledgeable in basic engineering design and principles. Preferred
- Ability to write specifications and standards and coordinate engineering projects and assignments.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: NYC Master Electrician License preferred Preferred
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel to company locations throughout the company service territory.
- Must be willing and able to provide technical and shift support during system emergencies 24/7.
- Must be willing and able to travel as required, to attend various meetings at non-Company locations.
- Must be willing and able to visit field sites in all types of weather and be willing to work in a plant environment.
- Must be willing and able to wear appropriate attire and PPE for the work location and duties.
- Must be willing and able to lift 50 lbs.
Technical Difficulty Statement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.